Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Modern closed-captioning systems

Author Topic: Modern closed-captioning systems
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 11:40 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, more details than the subject? Ok...

What options do those of use keeping 35mm's, particularly in side-by-side installations have?

And what's the cheapest digitial captioning system?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-12-2011 05:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For film, Datasat has been the company that does it and it was Rear Window for "closed captions" (as well as for Open Captions).

In Digital, USL has taken the lead for closed captions. http://www.uslinc.com/products-sound-CCS.html

The text info is on the Ethernet of the auditorium. Open caption can be done by the projector itself and there are open caption versions of the movies.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 03:44 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For digital we have the DoReMi Captive View at one location - they use a USB transmitter plugged into each server . . . . seems to work well so far.

I have not done a full cost comparison between them and USL yet.

If I am not mistaken Rear Window can be made to work with both 35mm and digital.

for 35mm we only ever used Datasat for open captions, it has been a while and I forget pricing.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 05:59 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some digital cinema servers support Rear Window directly out of an RS232 port on the back. For others, the USL CCE-100 can be used to convert the SMPTE captioning protocol to RS232 for Rear Window.

As pointed out above, USL provides the IRC-28C IR panel that transmits HI/VI-N audio plus four languages of closed captions. Various receivers are available for the HI/VI-N audio and the closed captions. The HI/VI-N inputs are balanced analog audio. The captioning is received using the SMPTE Auxiliary Content Synchronization Protocol over Ethernet. An introduction to SMPTE closed captioning is in the manual for the UPC-28C (or IRC-28C) at http://www.uslinc.com:8880/ftp/IRC-28/Manual/IRC-28C.pdf .

Let me know of any questions or problems with closed captioning. Since I designed the USL system, any problems are my fault, and I'd like to get them resolved.

Thanks!

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: