Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help Installing Qty 4 - Xenex L-1600's,Kelmar Series IV's, Sound Systems and Platters

Author Topic: Help Installing Qty 4 - Xenex L-1600's,Kelmar Series IV's, Sound Systems and Platters
Tom Conlee
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 02:35 AM      Profile for Tom Conlee   Email Tom Conlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoping this forum of outstanding film handlers could help an old-school digital guy, with the installation of 4 booth's worth of lamp-houses, rectifiers, Kelmar Series IV automation boxes, platters and sound systems. I have to say I have a totally new appreciation for what you guys do. I come to you humbly and wanting to learn some new (old) machines. Any volunteers?
And, if you want/need a tax write-off, you may have to come over here (Oahu) and make sure it hooked-up right. Pic of project here:  -

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 04:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the stuff that came from the 5plex in Magna UT?

Heard that the stuff headed across the pond to Hawaii, but don't know where..

If so, I recognize that equipment: Early 50's model XL on Simplex bases, LP270 platters, Kneisley rectifiers, SMART MOD-VI and amplifiers with DTS 6 units, et.al..

That grey case XL was one with a higher serial number than the other 4 that was in that place ..

Tom Conlee
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 12:51 PM      Profile for Tom Conlee   Email Tom Conlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the post Monte. You are correct about the origin of these machines. Any opinions you have regarding these monsters would be appreciated. I am looking into integrating all the above with the exiting Kelmar Series 4's, left by the previous operator, who vacated this venue over 4 years ago. Another question I have is regarding the changeover devices with power cords that (apparently) plugged into those Simplex bases. Would you know if those need to be connected or abandoned? Thanks for any info you provide! Picture here:  -

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 01:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those units never had their dousers connected since there were no automations to connect them up. That 5plex ran total manual - projector, lamphouse and houselights were all manually controlled. You close the lamphouse damper before you struck the bulb, fired off the projector, slide the dimmer on the houselight switch down for the houselight, opened up the damper and hit a button the wall to kick in the sound.

The entire unit depended on the microswitch on the bottom of the "trombone" of the platters - that was the failsafe switch for both projector and platter. The microswitch operated a contacter that was mounted on the wall that would controll both lamphouse and projector's 120vac feed. Bottom roller on the "trombone" would drop, opened the contacter which would shut off the lamphouse, platter and projector...To thread up, you had to "jimmy" the bottom roller up a bit to close the microswich to allow the contactor to close to get voltage to all three units.

Definitely a "tinker-toy" install.

Those were ran douser open at all times.

Who ever put those in at the 5plex about 5yrs ago, did a "band-aid and bubble gum" install.

I've known that location since 1991 when it was built. On the opening the had CFS-2000 consoles with Monees on the front with "stupid platters". Then the owner got smart, dumped the Monees for PR-1050's...then change of ownership (heard it was bankruptcy) and out went the booth. New people came in and put in that antique stuff and that's what your facing now.

Good luck with it ... holler for more help and PM if needed.

thx-Monte

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 01:44 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, what is your timeframe for this? I am about to embark on an install of my own but depending on schedule I might be able to get out there and help.....

BTW, if you want someone to come in to help you'll need to provide airfare and accommodations. [Big Grin]

Tom Conlee
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 02:16 PM      Profile for Tom Conlee   Email Tom Conlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Monte, small world eh? Now for the $64K question...Is it gonna work? The guy who oversaw the de-installation in Utah said he witnessed a working theatre before dismantling and shipping. Sound equip seems like it's in good shape, however I'm a little concerned about integrating the KelMar 4's. It would be helpful to have some sort of schematic to see how it all connects.

I myself wish for a retro with all new Christie or Barco's, but I can appreciate the owner wants to bring affordable movies to a depressed economy, and that option, is NOT an option.

Are we just prolonging the inevitable? Will all theatres go by way of the DLP? On the other hand, I'm starting to appreciate film like I appreciate my Vinyl collection. Bottom line is can these machines be kept running for another 5 years, assuming I can get them up & running?

thanks - Tom

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 02:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booth was fully running when it closed down early fall.

quote: Tom Conlee
Bottom line is can these machines be kept running for another 5 years, assuming I can get them up & running?

Those XL's, along with the "4-Stars" are in desparate need of overhaul. One XENEX has ignition problems. The rectifiers are definitely "iffy" for two of them are replacements, the other three - just a matter of time. Platters ... runnable but tired. Only thing pretty well stable was the sound.

5 years: That place be running digital by then.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 03:30 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most here would say lucky to get a year before 35mm prints become impossible to get but who knows...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i see simplex xl projectors 4 star soundhead specco platters xenex lamps and mod 6 processors
all should work and produce a tolerable presentation

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2011 04:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like ex carmike place to me... ugggg.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 04:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, just lenses are needed some since two of those houses at the Magna were narrow shoebox houses and the 'scope image was "pillarboxed" on the screen due to a 1.85:1 screen was installed.. others were full 'scope width screens.

Oh..and two "4-stars" had weak motor couplers..

Tom Conlee
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 05:06 PM      Profile for Tom Conlee   Email Tom Conlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, it sounds like you have intimate knowledge of the house these came out of. Did you happen to work there? You've been a tremendous help.

Thanks to everyone else for your posts & encouragement. Much appreciated!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Conlee
intimate knowledge of the house these came out of
I used to service this location under the previous owners from time to time..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: