Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex projector refurbishing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex projector refurbishing
Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 12:27 AM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While going through some old equipment I discovered an old Simplex projector. It's partially disassembled, but all the parts appear to be there. I was considering seeing if I could get it working again, just for the heck of it. Is there anything specific I should do in regards to cleaning and getting this thing to run?

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old?

Super, E7, XL?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Sam said. [Smile]

That has a lot to do with the answers we can give you.

Basically as a general thing, I clean everything with kerosene, dry it thoroughly and reassemble with generous coatings of Simplex oil.

Then, if a Super or E7, grease the gears with a good grade of grease (or Century grease) as well.

Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 01:51 PM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a simplex Regular. Based on the parts list I have for it, it is at least 50 years old, and hasn't been used for the last 15-20.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a Simplex Regular would actually be closer to 70-75 years old or more. [Smile]

Candidly, if you're gonna do the restoration just for fun, go for it.

Otherwise, it isn't worth it IMHO. That head is beyond obsolete.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless he can find some Wenzell Ace projectors which used the same parts as the Standard..

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 01:02 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends what parts are missing. Lots & lots of Simplex standard machines around for parts. If it is for money forget it. If for fun go for it. Send me the serial number and I can give you the year it was made. THey were in production from 1911 to 1937 from Simplex and clones from at least three other companies up to 1950+. Probably several still running and they will put out a great picture if properly adjusted. Download the manual from this forun and let us know what parts are missing or send some pictures

Never used grease on any Simplex. Always oil to keep gears moist and older Simplex machines seeped a bit. No disrespect to anyone that was the way we lubed them here in the NW with no problems. Stardards thru E-7's

Have fun, Dick

Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 01:48 AM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like I have enough get started. I will check for the serial number and let you know. Where is it usually located?

Thanks,
Markus

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-09-2011 02:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
might be on the front case towards the bottom. the SSN#

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 03:35 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex Standard serial numbers are on the rear of the main frame down by the sight box if rear shutter model. Also front plate above lens, if still there.
Dick

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it still has the original case doors and covers and on the lower front cover it`s printed "PM Co"[Precision Machine Co] you have a really old one; Dick will tell you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-09-2011 02:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parts Manual for the Simplex Standard

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2011 02:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us think Dick worked for Precision Machine in his previous life... [Cool]

Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found a number on the front of the projector: 30587 Didn't see any additional numbers but its a bit dirty so stuff might show up as I clean it.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 02:01 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Markus, that serial number was made 1n 1928. The best number is on the rear of the main frame. That does get quite dirty and baked on stuff from the heat of the arc lamp. Front plates can be changed.

Start finding all the parts you have for it and have fun. Feel free to ask any question.
Dick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: