Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Orc rectifier, hard striking (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Orc rectifier, hard striking
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2011 06:13 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey gang,

Just wanted a second opinion before going forward and it's 4AM...doubt my favorite tech pal would appreciate a text this early [Razz]

We had a single-phase orc take a dive a while back with a bad diode.
I replaced all the diodes and the lamp will strike and run a show but there's one little thing.

When the lamp lamphouse is set for automatic ignition, flipping on the lamp results in the igniter firing but not lighting the blub.

If I switch it to manual, turn on the lamp, and then wait a second and hit the manual ignition button it strikes just about as it should.

My theory is the ignitian capacitor is dying, possibly damaged from the bad diode.
Before going ahead with any more repairs I thought I should run it by the brain trust first...Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 07:29 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The time element in this makes me think the main power supply capacitor is marginal. Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 06:36 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Step 1: Disconnect the ORC rectifier.
Step 2: Toss it in the dumpster.
Step 3: Get a real rectifier from a manufacturer that is still in business. (Strong, LP assoc., Christie)
Step 4: Install said rectifier.

Problem solved.

With all the 35mm equipment being pulled you should have no problem finding a replacement for little or no cost.
[thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-07-2011 06:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Tony said. I have a garage full...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 08:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, guys, that was my first response, too. I reconsidered when I thought that he may need a single phase AC source, making that old, worthless unit slightly valuable.

I would have gotten rid of the ORC back in 1973. Louis

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 11-07-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic.

How is the spark gap looking? I had one of these things do similar hi jinks and the spark gap was the culprit. Replaced it with an adjustable Kinoton one and no more dramas.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 10:11 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis:

Depending on wattage, there are plenty of single-phase rectifiers out there..LP Assoc. makes a magnetic one,. Strong has a switcher good for IIRC up to 2.5k, Christie had a few also.

Ian:

Good point..and a cheap and easy fix. [thumbsup]

If it were up to me though I'd still dump that ORC crap. [puke]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 04:20 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well looks like logic wins this one.

The transformer burned up right nice.

Who wants to sell me one?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic:

What wattage lamp are you running?

Do you have 3-phase power available in your booth?

I will cut you a screaming deal on the LP assoc. rectifer I have, it has about 7 hours total run time on it. (see my listing in the equipment forum...disregard price you see there).

We can discuss possible delivery and installation. (By PM of course.)

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 02:13 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I appreciate that offer!

Lamp is 1600 watt. To make 3 phase id have to run wire and switch out a breaker.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the alumium plate that makes the bridgeing of the caps it often has corrosion over time

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 04:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic:

Can your lamphouse handle a 2k bulb? That is the lowest setting on the rectifier I have.

And the add a wire.change breaker may not be a big deal, get a pic of your breaker panel for me and send it to my email.

Gordon:

Sir, sorry to break it to you, but did you read Dominic's post, the one two posts above yours? The transformer is burned up so I think it's beyond repair.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 05:41 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, sort of...It's an old Cinemechanica console. We're running 2k's in the same model at another theater.
The caveat though is that the projector mounted on it is a Century with a modified mount and the 1600 is actually too close to it as it is, scorches the #@$! out of it.

In March or so we have a location closing and that screen becomes a side-by-side, so I'll be able to salvage a nice LP to put behind it but until then...

Gordon, I checked that plate. We burned a wire off of it last year on this same machine.
I should take a picture of the carnage when I get back down to the theater. The xformer, aside from putting out ~ 2 volts has an obviously burnt, blackened lead coming out of the windings. One that is barely holding on as a matter of fact!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2011 02:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
check the alumium plate that makes the bridgeing of the caps it often has corrosion over time

Ditto for the connections to the heat sinks. I went though that with CFS (actually LP Associates) rectifiers a couple summers ago.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-23-2011 01:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the ONLY thing that CFS rectifiers had in common with the LPA was the design. IIRC it was, parts-wise, a complete knock-off of the LP unit. I have NEVER had any such failures on LP rectifiers. Only the occasional random diode opening up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: