Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor using gray boxes from DeLuxe for shipping

Author Topic: Technicolor using gray boxes from DeLuxe for shipping
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2011 06:59 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got treated to a first. Technicolor is now using the old Deluxe boxes for shipping. They slap a "Technicolor" strip on top, then they use a ton of packing tape to keep the lid from popping open, since the old boxes don't have the velcro strips to hold the top in place.

What a bitch to get open.

Hope they don't think we're going to re-tape them with packing tape at our expense. Not happening.

I expected they would use the old DeLuxe shipping cans, but this takes the prize.

But then, why bother to use new boxes with fewer and fewer folks running prints?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 3 "Fox Boxes" with the "Technicolor" label - figured that they're using these boxes up when they need to.

Bet, the cans went to the recycle center since UPS hates the cans due to shipping problems...boxes are easier to roll on the conveyer belts, stack and don't roll around in the trucks.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deluxe is (was) using something other than steel cans or the Fox gray plastic box (first used to ship Independence Day, as I recall) to ship film reels in? I never saw anything else up until I quit playing film.

The ancient steel cans are one thing that I don't miss, though. I ripped more than one pair of pants lugging those things around, and punched a few holes in my fingers, too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 08:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Hope they don't think we're going to re-tape them with packing tape at our expense. Not happening.
You might want to re-think that. When you ship something, you are responsible for it. If it falls apart in shipping they'd probably bill you for the print (if they ever miss it, that is).

If you ship it "insured" and it falls apart, UPS would probably deny the claim and say you didn't have sufficient packaging.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 11:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, if I get a grey/orange box that needs help, I'll grab the shipping tape and secure it down...

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2011 07:38 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> Hope they don't think we're going to re-tape them with packing tape at our expense. Not happening.

This is no different than getting a broken reel. Call them and have them send you a replacement box if the box is too damage to close up correctly.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-07-2011 09:57 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer having the film shipped in two parts -- makes it easier to stay balanced. Two smaller boxes would be the best of both worlds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: