Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theater Closing - Prepping booth for future re-opening

Author Topic: Theater Closing - Prepping booth for future re-opening
Dan Crittenden
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2011 03:33 PM      Profile for Dan Crittenden   Email Dan Crittenden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the theatre I'm currently at is shutting down for at least the winter, possibly up to a couple of years. It's a sad week here for all of us, as this two screen theater has operated since 1951, and under current management for the last 19 years.
Anyway, I've got to pack down the booth for the closure, and I'm wondering if anyone has some advice or special considerations to make when doing this. I was planning to at least take the bulbs out of the projectors, pack them away and put plastic covers over all the equipment. Any other thoughts?

We're running a Vic 8(35/70), a Vic 5(35), and a Prevost 16mm

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 05:12 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there are any plans to reopen the theater at any point in the foreseeable future, I wouldn't worry about the xenon lamps. They can stay in place as long as the power is turned off at the panel and the lamp houses are kept shut.

The thing that I would be worried about the most is the oil and/or grease getting old and hard. I'm not sure what to do about that. I might just change the oil and grease the gears and let the projectors be.

If the machines are all covered in plastic bags to keep the dust off, I don't see why they couldn't sit for several months to a year without worry. If possible, it might be good to turn the mechanisms over every once in a while, either running the motors or just turning the flywheels by hand. The idea being to keep oil or grease on the gears so they don't rust, etc.

I guess the real question is how long the theater is going to be mothballed. If it's only a few months, up to a year, I would be inclined to just clean everything well, cover it all up and come back when it's time to reopen. If it's going to be several years, I would consider doing more but, without knowing how long it's going to be, I can only guses.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 08:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the plastic from mattresses to mothball the projectors. They stay pristine. If no heat is possible, a small light bulb (15 watts) located on the floor under the plastic will provide enough heat to stop any moisture or dew. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-02-2011 10:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it would re-open with film projectors.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2011 11:21 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the climate and "urbanizaion" of your area,
you may want to consider either:

a)Using styrofoam or foam rubber to block off the
lamphouse flue pipes if they are vented to the outside.

or

b)Even better and recommended- - disconnect the
lamphouses entiresly from the exhaust system
and block it (the exhaust flues)completely off.

Here in the San Franicsco, I've seen quite a bit of
lamphouse deterioration in the form of both corrosion
(from salt air) and soot/dirt from city traffic) in
theaters that have been closed for as few as six
months from being exposed to the outside air coming
down the exhaust flue stacks.

In worst case I've seen, some small bird or other
animal actually made its' way into the lamphouse
through the exhaust flue & built a nest in there!
The lamphouse had to be replaced since many of the
wires had been chewed through and acid from animal
urine & feces totally corroded the interior. Yuk!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-03-2011 01:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2011 02:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Brad & Joe. Two years ago I would have said, keep the film systems as a backup -- which is what we did here. But, we haven't shown a movie on film since we digitized, and if our digital machine needs service in the next few years it'll be covered by the service plan, which by the time that runs out film will probably be unavailable anyway.

I also thought I would enjoy watching my collection of old trailers and other stuff on the film system once in a while but to date, I haven't done that either.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-03-2011 02:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2011 08:56 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is film? Can I get it on my i-phone or big screen tv?
[Confused]

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2011 09:05 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best option now... sell as much of the film stuff as you can. In two years you will have really big boat anchors. Can the projectors run 70mm? do they have mag heads, do you have a cp-200? if so you might be able to sell them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: