Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby 701 alignment per frames?

Author Topic: Dolby 701 alignment per frames?
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2011 09:27 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just installed a Dolby 701 on my Simplex E7 and I'm trying to figure out a way to align the Reader with out the Cat 1010 film.
Is there a way to count frames or sprocket holes from the gate to the reader?
DTS I have setup just fine.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 09:55 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby film makes it faster and easier but you don't need to buy that film unless you want to. (Or if you have several of machines to set up and maintain.)

Just thread up any old piece of film, use a Sharpie marker to mark the sprocket hole that is at the scanning point of the Dolby reader then mark the sprocket that is at the scanning point of the analog sound reader.

From there it's just a matter of counting the number of sprocket holes between Point-A and Point-B.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 10:46 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 cheap ear buds. One connected to optical center off the processor, the other connected to center channel of the Da-20. Adjust for no echo. Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I sent in an email to Paul, I believe you can get the setting in the ballpark with the following method:

Thread a piece of film with clearly defined framelines;
Mark the frame at the analog reader;
Mark the frame at the digital reader optical center;
Count the total frames and multiply by 4 to get the perf count;
Subtract 26 from the total perf count and that is your offset.

That should get you within 4 perfs (one frame) of the correct offset.

I will be at UCI tomorrow and will try this out to see how close it is. [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-02-2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always just used the numbers in the manual (I forget if it is the DA20 manual or the CP500 manual or both that gives the common offsets for most popular projectors) as a starting point and then adjusted by ear while comparing the sound with the analog output. Obviously, the manual part will not help if you have an SDDS or DTS reader mounted below the cat. 701.

The offset adjustment is actually a strong point for SRD (or a weak point for DTS): DTS (at least the 6D) only allows adjustment of the reader offset in whole-frame increments, while Dolby allows adjustment in 1/4-frame increments. This reduces the annoyance factor when the digital system reverts to analog and also increases the chances of getting correct sync in the auditorium (expecially in smaller houses).

Minor nitpick point: in 2-projector installations, the offset needs to be the same for both projectors (this is also true for DTS...not sure about SDDS). This can be annoying in some circumstances (for example, it is not possible to use a penthouse reader on one projector and a basement reader on the other projector).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I count the frames and multiply by four as well. Then count the odd sprocket holes and add or subtract as needed.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-04-2011 12:15 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected on the above post, you need to ADD 26 perfs, not subtract.

Amazing the things one thinks of on the commute home from a screening.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2011 10:40 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep..adding 26 perfs made the alignment for the 701.
Picture and sound is just fine now.

Many thanks to all that helped out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: