Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about replacing DTS6 battery

Author Topic: Question about replacing DTS6 battery
Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 03:45 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older DTS (2 drive) unit on my bench with one caddy drive that went to heaven and... a leaking back-up battery on
the motherboard. (No damage there)
Can I just desolder the affected battery and replace it with a
newer NiMh variety without losing the unit's set-up parameters?
Or would it be better to replace it carefully whilst the motherboard is switched on?
I'm a bit worried about losing the bios and whatever else
there's lurking in there and what would be vital to retain.
Would appreciate some advice here because computers are not my
area really.

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meter the existing battery? is it already dead and the unit still boots? if so just desolder and put in a new one.

If you want to play it safe you can do what I used to do with old C-Band videocipher RS descrambling modules: Solder a new battery to the legs of the old one in parallel, then snip the bad one out just above the join when you are done.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-31-2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the easiest thing would be to write down the BIOS settings and then restore them - even though I think I remember that the settings were quite standard.

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to let you know how this ended:
As suggested, I checked the voltage of the old battery. It was dead. So I removed the bugger, cleaned the PCB where some leakage had occurred and installed a modern NiMh variety battery.
The DTS-6 booted normally hereafter.Like before....
Mission completed.
One question remains however: If this memory backup battery is apparently non essential to the operation of the device, why was it there in the first place....?

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2011 03:42 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume it's because the motherboard was a standard off the shelf 386 AT board. It would have cost more to have a special MB built for DTS omitting the clock battery than just to use what was already out there. The bios settings that the battery retains on a standard run of the mill MB would be system time and date (of course), hard drive settings (Cylinders, Heads, and sectors per track), and custom memory settings. Clearly DTS6 does not need any of these settings.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2011 03:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6D units uses the 486/25 momboards and both ran 200W AT power supplies.

Put a video card in either unit's ISA slot and you can see what's going on.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-04-2011 09:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original dts 6 were about 90% off-the-shelf from Frys. Louis

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2011 07:50 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys for your much appreciated responses. It all makes sense and, for me, some knowledge has been gained!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: