Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changing battery in a Pennywise CA 21...

Author Topic: Changing battery in a Pennywise CA 21...
Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2011 07:48 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tasked with changing the back-up battery in a Pennywise CA 21 automation unit, but cannot find the schematics in any of the manuals available.
Can someone help with the a) the type/version of battery, (which I've been infrmed is 3.6V lithium), and b) how to change it out?
Thanks...

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-23-2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this an eprom based CA21 or a later "capio" model CA21? Eprom based units were soldered in. The capio models pop out of a socket. If you remove the top lid you will see it right in the middle. VERY easy to change.

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2011 03:18 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad, much appreciated.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-23-2011 08:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, It is a CR-2032. I changed it with the unit powered ON to prevent loss of programming...never a problem.

-Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-23-2011 10:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will it lose its programming if powered off while changing the battery? Couldn't it use a charged capacitor as a back up? The programs, time, etc could be saved for a week or two without power (including battery) with such a capacitor. Surely they thought of this...

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2011 11:56 PM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the soldered in variety, a Sony EF3 3.6v in one unit and 8Y24 "something chinese" 3.6v in another; which as it happens are not available anywhere in Western Australia.
The onsite projectionist is getting in touch with Pennywise to get replacements, which when they arrive I get to go back and switch over.
Apparently I have about 2 minutes to change over the battery before all programming is lost, and must be re-done... at this time the units are left on 24/7.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: