Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BigSky Console with Orcon XPS-16S wiring

Author Topic: BigSky Console with Orcon XPS-16S wiring
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2011 02:11 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I've recently received a Big Sky 2000 watt console with a 3phase IREM rectifier. I currently have a ORC console with the XPS-16 rectifier.

Over the past few days I have been removing the rectifiers and swapping the XPS 16 into the big sky.

I have the AC/DC hooked up and am now trying to the automation to control the rectifier.

Can anyone tell me what the exact purposes of the AHBCD wires on the IREM do and if they carry voltage or are contact switches only. The big sky had the A/B/C hooked up.

The XPS has two terminals left which I believe are for 120v to activate the fan relays (unit looks similar an integrated one I worked with several years ago).

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2011 06:30 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After getting into the old rectifier wiring, I realize the C terminal would have 120v coming from it (Fed from one of the 3 phases).

I'm still trying to trace A/B though.

Thanks,
Cody

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-16-2011 07:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IREM runs on 200-230V...there is no 120V anywhere on it. The terminals you mention are the means to activate the contactor. it is set up such that one may use either a latching or momentary means of turning the rectifier on/off. That is why they also use a 4-pole contactor...to form the latching circuit.

-Steve

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2011 09:00 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the information, Steve.

My mistake on the voltage. I meant to say the C terminal is powered from one of the legs, giving the lamphouse panel the juice it needs.

Thanks,
Cody

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2011 08:09 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I have everything figured out now with the wiring.

I went ahead and put a contactor between the lamphouse automation wiring and the rectifier (I believe it would have been needed).

Coil Contact A1 is connected to one leg(1) of the rectifiers incoming single phase 240v. The other coil contact is connected to the existing A wire going to the lamphouse automation.

L1 is jumpered to A1(1). L2 is connected to the other leg(2). Automation wire B is jumpered to L2 also.

Automation wire C is connected to T1(energized when contactor energized).

Automation C wire controls the lamphouses Volt/Hour meters and I believe the igniter.

The rectifier has a 120v control circuit. T2 is connected to the positive of the control circuit. Neutral is connected to the neutral bus.

Turning on the xenon circuit by switch or automation causes all systems to work as expected.

Hopefully this information can help someone else also.

Cody

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: