Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century vertical drive shaft gear

Author Topic: Century vertical drive shaft gear
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2011 10:51 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey gang,

This is a new one for me.
During a show today a Century SAW decided to shear the screw holding the interface gear from the main drive to the vertical shaft (gear driven off an RCA head).

Am I crazy to hope to salvage the shaft?

Here's the carnage
 -

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 01:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Am I crazy to hope to salvage the shaft?
How important is this to YOU?

Can't you just put a new screw in after retapping the hole, or taking a easy out to remove the broken screw thread?

Looks like an easy fix on this end..

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-12-2011 01:39 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Monte on this. The hole appears to have little damage/wear so a quick trip to an engineering shop with a spark etcher will get that screw out in a jiffy.
Now, if the screw holes HAVE elongation, either in the shaft or the gear body, then an etch and a weld will fill the hole back to it's original shape - this is important as an elongated hole will induce slop into the whole gear train, something that should be avoided if at all possible.

With that in mind, I'd be renewing ALL the screws on the main shaft and shutter shaft just to be sure.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 11:35 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be okay with a new screw. There are no threads in the shaft. I had this happen before.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 12:48 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No screws inside the shaft is correct. Replace the screws with hex head screws like Hollo-Krome. They are very strong. This is important since they rely on clamping action to stop any motion between the gear & shaft. The old screw, if loose, will break upon tightening. louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: