Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm on a CP200? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 16mm on a CP200?
Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2011 02:52 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever put a 16mm projector on a CP200? Might it improve the sound a bit? How would such a thing be done, considering the sound pick-up type? (It's an Elmo 16-AL in very nice shape.)

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-10-2011 10:47 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it a photovoltaic solar cell, you can treat it just like a 35mm optical analog soundtrack and use the optical preamp projector 2 assuming you're only running one 3mm projector.

There are proj. 3 and 4 inputs as well on the CP200 aux rack.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-10-2011 08:10 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam is spot on as usual, may I also add that you can (should) jump the L+ and R+ and L- and R- cell connections together, adjust the CAT 108 for the same level on both channels, and of course use Format 01 for 16mm.

I have used that connection and setup scheme in the past with very good results. A bonus is that the CAT 108 gives you slit loss compensation to get the best possible response..but like any optical system it is crucial that the 16mm optics are clean and set up correctly.

And to tweak you a bit Jim, you could have called me for this info... [Smile]

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2011 10:03 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, shucks. Can't bother the same person with everything. That's just being rude. Thanks both.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2011 10:17 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As simple as this concept is, it's not something that I have considered before. Thanks for bringing it up. I plan to tap my Kodak Pageant so I can pipe it to my own CP200.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2011 10:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing so would be the inverse of playing back 70mm 6 track on a Sony pocket radio.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2011 02:29 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it, though I'm no long-time veteran subscriber here, I've never actually seen anyone selling an auxiliary rack for a CP200 before. Not even on eBay. I would have thought those would be as common as weeds...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-11-2011 08:13 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How different is the 16mm EQ curve from the Academy curve? Is there any situation in which the difference could be a problem?

If you have two 35mm projectors and no aux rack, there are two other potential options:

- 16mm solar cell to external preamp (the Symetrix SX202 works well) to non-sync or mag input

- 16mm amplifer output to direct box to microphone input (probably the least desirable option, but it works well if you want to avoid modifying the 16mm projector)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-11-2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A one time in L.A. every Academy 16mm screening was through an AshlyBP-41 bass guitar preamp patched into a Dolby processor. The eq is quite a bit different, with the knee poins lower (for 16mm) just like the bass guitar. First one was Directors Guild of America for Bob Perlmutter.

My concern is that on 01 you do get mono, but the knee point plus the academy roll off will leave you unusually dull. On 04 and 05 you get nr which you probably don't want. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-11-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all CP200's had aux racks, just a relative few where they were need for 5 channel playback or four projector use, or to show off.

I have a couple I saved from the crusher.

Scott is on the money on alternate solutions.

I don't remember the 16mm academy curve but if anything the 35mm curve in the 200 is a bit agressive and makes mono sound dull.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2011 11:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We gave always avoided the Academy curve as has been said, it unnecessarily will squelch high-end. You want to suck out as much of any high end that actually exists on the 16mm track. I have very successfully used an external preamp -- the one I have found the most useful and the most able to customize the 16mm eq, is the Joe Meek 3Q Mic Preamp. It is extremely quiet and has a smooth, very sweet 3band eq section as well as the ability to introduce a bit of downward compression.

It allows you to really tweak a 16mm track for best sound; it is a big advantage when you work with the limitations of the 16mm tracks to be able to customize each film you play to get the best sound you can. Set the compressor for a very mild downard compression and you can get the equivelant of some dynamic noise reduction too.

Input this to an AUX input to you are not dealing the nsty Academy roll off which immediately stunts your freq response right out of the gate.

BTW, there are about a half a billion mic preamps out there, the more expensive ones are using tubes (and they charge big-time for that esoteric hook); after looking at quite a few, the Joe Meek fit the bill very nicely. It cames in around a do-able $260.

Emiel De Jong
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 04:31 AM      Profile for Emiel De Jong   Email Emiel De Jong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I connected the cell of my Bauer 16mm to my CP50 as Tony describes, better 16mm sound than ever before and it made switching between 35 and 16 sound really easy...

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-23-2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To pop back in on this one, yes the Academy curve did dull the high end..but I tweaked the slit loss a bit to make up for the loss...technically not the best solution but it still sounded pretty damn good. And someone I knew back in the day showed me how to defeat the Academy filter (IIRC it was on the CAT 108..or was it on the meter cards? Been too long....) which was pretty easy to do. Sam would know how I'm sure.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-23-2011 06:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is on the 109. Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-23-2011 06:59 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Louis!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: