Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ORC diode issue

Author Topic: ORC diode issue
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2011 06:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really strang. I have never had this happen before. ORC 1600 watt console. I had a diode short. I changed it. A few weeks later, one of the wires burnt off the contactor. 2 weeks after that, the same diode shoted AND the other diode on that plate was open. Now I changed all 4 diodes. Last night the same diode shorted again for the 3rd time. Amps are 69. Voltage is around 22. 120VAC on each leg coming in after the contactor. All connections seem tight. The plate which holds the diodes is clean. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2011 06:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intermittent or clogged cooling fan...?
Is this leg of the rectifier on a high leg of three phase AC as measured to neutral....?
Bad transformer winding....?
I've seen the area where the connecting wires are attached to the heatsinks oxidize and cause excessive ripple and slightly varying current.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2011 07:01 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cooling fan is running perfectly. Felt very free. 123.1 VAC on all 3 legs in the panel. I was wondering about where the wires bolt onto the plate myself. Even the diodes themselves. I was thinking about drilling new holes for them. Maybe I'll do it for the wires also.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-04-2011 11:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, did you use silicone heatsink grease on the diodes? VERY important to use it or the new diodes will burn up fast.

Also, ALWAYS change at least ALL of the same-polarity diodes as a set! (When one blows it can weaken or damage the others of the same polarity.) I would change all diodes on both positive and negative sides to be safe, remembering the heatsink grease. [Smile]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2011 05:05 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Used the grease and after it blew the second time, I changed all 4 diodes.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-05-2011 06:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can, measure the current on all four diodes to see if one is being stressed more than the others...likewise, measure the current of the AC coming in...the voltage rarely tells a good enough story.

-Steve

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2011 05:03 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do not use too much heat sink grease. It is there only to fill the microscopic voids in the metal. Too much grease will hurt heat transfer.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-08-2011 08:17 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Bruce.

Of course the best solution is to get rid of that ORC junk in the first place.

But not always the practical one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: