Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Philips/Norelco FP20 wiring diagram

Author Topic: Philips/Norelco FP20 wiring diagram
Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2011 11:02 PM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just taken possession of an FP20 from a cinema group moving to digital. Unfortunately the 'wrecking crew' just cut every wire going to this machine.

So I am searching for a comprehensive wiring diagram to restore it back to working. The manual in the Film-Tech warehouse does not tell me anything useful.

I also need to re-wire the Dolby digital unit to the DA20.

Does anyone have either of these valuable documents?

Bruce

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-27-2011 05:41 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understanding a Norelco/Kinoton schematic of that era does require a bit of finesse. You'll never find something that just lays it all out but the information IS there.

-Steve

Tom Holdsworth
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2011 10:25 AM      Profile for Tom Holdsworth   Email Tom Holdsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I also have just bought a vandalised FP20 with all the wiring simply cut to remove it. If anyone can help with wiring diagrams for the UK Kineton version I would be most interested. Mine was also from a fully automated multiplex, there is no inching knob and a whole host of circuit boards which I do not remember ever seeing before in cinemas where I worked with FP20's. Any help in getting rid of inessential items and back to a basic working machine would be welcome and is there any way of fitting an inching mechanism?

Thanks

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2011 03:26 AM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
The inching knob fits on the end of the extended 10MM motor shaft. It is hard to believe that this shaft has been cut and shortened as that would serve no purpose whatsoever. However if that is the case and there is a remnant of shaft you can extend it again with a sleeve and a piece of 10MM rod...

As for the full original manual, I may be able to assist because a colleague of mine has promised to loan me one so with his permission I can send you a copy

Bruce

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-03-2011 06:49 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the DA20 is simple at least. You need a Dolby reader cable, this has a DB25 for the DA20 on one end and a different connector on the reader end to plug onto the pins sticking out of the reader electronics. On removals these cables usually get cut and they are not spliceable or easily reconnected to the connectors.
If they are easy to get off I try to disconnect them - out of habit I suppose, they cost a bunch and even though they're headed to the scrapyard I don't like chopping them.
As far as the FP20 goes: there are innumerable versions of this machine. To get one to work for a home cinema is pretty easy though, you just need the motor to turn and the sound reader to power up. You can remove the fire shutter/changeover. Hopefully you have chain driven takeup, I've never seen the motorized ones in a cinema setting.
Kinoton does not allow their technical documents to be publicly posted. They may be willing to send you something, who knows? Your local cinema service company is a better bet. They may have a document archive. Whoever serviced these machines might still have the manuals and diagrams.

Tom Holdsworth
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2011 04:32 AM      Profile for Tom Holdsworth   Email Tom Holdsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I have found a manual at:

http://kinomedia.net/docs/zapchasti_Kinoton/fp25_en_part2.pdf

This is for the FP25 but seems to be very similar to my machine. I have a power supply feeding the Sound head LED's (not powered it up yet) but the signal cables are just cut. I only want to get the analog working as I only have a CP45 processor. I have an inverter power supply to the motor which is not centred on the hole for the inching knob and the whole motor body turns rather than the shaft. I have numerous film break sensors and motors for the aperture plate change, focus and turret rotation, (I will probably remove these but this may help identify the version of the machine).

I think that if the LEDs power up, as there are only 5 wires from the analog sound reader, that the 4 required for the CP45 should be identifiable, but was there a specific colour code for the Kineton reverse reader wiring?

Tom

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-05-2011 06:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FP25 is not very similar to the FP20...in terms of electrical schematic, unless you are referring to the FP20A...which has little resemblance to the FP20. It is unfortunate that Kinoton chose to revive the FP20 name for machine that is not the same in so many ways.

Note too, Kinoton prohibits the publication of the manuals...whomever posted the FP25 manual is in violation of Kinoton's copyright. But that is for Kinoton to pursue.

The Norelco FP20 manual on this site likely is a close resemblance of what you have. Norelco schematics can be a bit tricky and the scan job on this one is unfortunate in some of the schematic areas to add to confusion. But that is where I would start.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: