Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » First post- Strong x90 problem, old town single screen

Author Topic: First post- Strong x90 problem, old town single screen
William Brittain
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2011 06:24 AM      Profile for William Brittain   Author's Homepage   Email William Brittain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new to the forum and requesting help for a small town theater with a Strong x90/simplex setup. We townies have taken our turns keeping the old place alive, currently as a non-profit historical operation. No formal training but I've had over four years there, self-taught, operating and maintaining the X90. It has been a jewel, year after year with only minor maintenance.
Lately the automated start has been failing, it would engage then quit some way thru any show, now it won't engage at all. It runs as long as the button is held and quits when you let off. We really don't use the automation under the soundhead except as a failsafe, and I never saw an LED light up at the moment of shutdown, I don't believe that is the problem. Not sure what type of automation board it is either.
If anyone with experience would be familiar enough to recognize this problem and clue us in, faulty relay or what, we do not have a budget for expensive service and sure would appreciate a DYI.
We are using the manual toggle switches for now.

Bill in East Texas

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-26-2011 08:24 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The automation model will be required before any advice can be given. Many types can be installed in your console. The Strong/Eprad SP-7 was popular but we need to know what you have. If ypu can't find a model number, a photo of the automation panel will help (generally the top unit in the rack space or at the top of the console)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-26-2011 08:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And a photo of the failsafe

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-26-2011 10:49 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALmost sounds like a CPA-10 automation ... there is a battery inside that needs to be replaced...

And, if the failsafe is a FP350, those wires going into the terminal block, one loves to work loose which will cause a break in the automation to shut down the unit.

William Brittain
Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2011 04:10 AM      Profile for William Brittain   Author's Homepage   Email William Brittain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did previously do a wiggle/jiggle to all associated wiring and plug connectors. The problem started as an intermittent fail then proceeded to be permanent. Everything is functioning fine in manual operation, and from my observation no relays on that automation board appeared to be active during manual start. There is relay action during attempted auto-start, but stops when the button is released.

Ok starting with the racks, we only have a rudimentary sound system:
 -

Then above the lamphouse, what I've assumed is the automation but without printed description:
 -
 -

Then to the failsafe also without identification that I could recognize:
 -
 -

Sorry for the glare, I didn't see that at the time

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2011 08:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a Raven/ Edlo automation and failsafe I would test the poser supply first the failsafe does need a stable 24vdc

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-27-2011 09:24 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raven...what a time trip [Smile]

William Brittain
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2011 01:42 AM      Profile for William Brittain   Author's Homepage   Email William Brittain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did find 'Raven' on the printed side of the circuit board. Could you elaborate on finding the 24vdc power supply source location? Would that be the transformer on the upper left of the second photo? I will stop in for a look tomorrow between other jobs

William Brittain
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2011 05:14 PM      Profile for William Brittain   Author's Homepage   Email William Brittain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a brief time to put a meter on the transformer, in the top left of the second photo. 120vac going in but did not get any vdc reading on the output, the two red wires. Seems to indicate a dead transformer. Oddly enough my coworker tried the auto start circuit again and it engaged. ? Intermittent problem vanished - but I'm sure it would return during a run. What to do now? I guess I'll check individual solder joints for cracks, and double check that transformer...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2011 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't get DC out of a transformer!! AC in >>>>> AC out excepting some wall worts that have a boilt in rectifier. Check again with your meter in AC...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: