Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SRD troubles with "Contagion"

Author Topic: SRD troubles with "Contagion"
Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 10:40 PM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I noticed that Contagion keeps faulting back to SR during the show, runs almost a solid F. I've never seen this on a brand new print before. Anybody else having this problem? [Confused]

The print in the house before this one was 4 weeks old and still running between a 3 and 4 so I don't think its an issue with my sound equipment. CAT 701 with a CP500.

|  IP: Logged

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2011 04:23 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely sounds like a bad print soundtrack. Interestingly this is the first WB release that's been printed by Deluxe that I am aware of. I've had numerous problems with Deluxe prints and failing soundtracks.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-10-2011 11:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What do the trailers track at? That will eliminate "threading errors" or a piece of equipment that conveniently just happened to fail at the new movie's opening.

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2011 02:04 AM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, the trailers will run a nice 2.
I guess its just a dead digital track. speaking of which, I also noticed while I was building Creature, on reel 4, part of the DTS time-code was printed on the SDDS s-track? wow, good thing I don't have DTS, or SDDS in that house.
Whats up with the crappy prints this weekend?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2011 07:19 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen several titles recently that went to 'F' often.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2011 11:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bottom line is that the labs just don't care much any more. They likely feel that they have little reason to.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-13-2011 11:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be funny if the labs were doing this on purpose, to piss on theaters still running film?

It's a long shot, but I could see a scenario where the movie studios were giving orders to Deluxe to botch the SRD track, as well as relocate the DTS time code to another part of the print. Hey! Let's print the DTS time code right down the middle of the picture! That will be so cool! That'll teach those theaters to cost us that extra money for making and shipping film prints instead of taking a re-used hard disc drive.

Yeah, I agree with Joe. The folks at the labs don't give a shit. I'm sure most of the employees have been polishing up their resumes. The best ones have probably already left well in advance of the lab turning off the lights for the last time.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-14-2011 08:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studios don't have a dog in the fight. in fact the digital prints cost them MORe due to some long term contracts that have over a decade to go.

Low grossing theatres who have digital can't play on the break UNLESS THEY CAN PLAY FILM@!

Strange, but true. louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-14-2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
The bottom line is that the labs just don't care much any more. They likely feel that they have little reason to.
People at the labs and studios are not CAPABLE of giving a shit.

All they do is sit around and whine about how much work they have to do and how much money things cost them when all they really want to do is sit around giving each other hand jobs all day long.

Nobody has any work ethic anymore. Nobody cares about anything that's more than six inches in front of their noses. The people who actually make the movies don't even give a rat's ass anymore. They're all in the business just by default because the have to do "something" for a living.

The movie business is as good as dead. It was on life support ten years ago. We're all just sitting around waiting for somebody to come along and pull the plug.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: