Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Does SHOAH have a built-in intermission?

Author Topic: Does SHOAH have a built-in intermission?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-09-2011 06:31 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a built-in intermission, or am I going to have to create one? If the latter, any recommendations for a suitable break?

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 06:51 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, the intermissions for each part is around the 2:30 mark. But it has been 25 years since I've seen it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 09:17 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wexner Center at Ohio State ran this in April. You could call the Wexner and get ahold of Bruce Bartoo, the staff projectionist. He should have that answer.

The Wexner contact info is on this web page.

The Wexner operation is very similar to what you do at IU.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-10-2011 06:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been so long now I am sure my memory of it is only that it was 27 reels. We ran it over two nights. I am sure I would have notated that on the Projection Report, but we just moved into a new office space and I can barely find my coffee cup let along old files. I will look thu the boxes where they MAY be, but confidence is low on this.

Are you doing long play reels or plattering it? If there is a built-in intermission, it should be easy to spot (unless some yahoo cut it off and didn't put it back). Other than an obvious INTERMISSION title, just go half way and look for a nice fade-out. Not to worry -- believe me, after this VERY slow paced doc with lots of interviews and talking heads passes its half-way mark, your audience will not care where you break it as long as they can get themselves to the bathrooms.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-10-2011 11:17 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shoah is 32 reels, I know, we've got an abandoned print. We screened it for a local group when it was new in the 80s. When we called for a shipping address we were told to hold on to the print and an address would be forthcoming. A few weeks later a call yielded the same results as did another call a couple weeks after that. The next call got the number has been disconnected message and a letter was returned "Unknown at This Address".

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-12-2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
27 reels -- 32 reels -- and now.....

It seems they may have balanced the reels differently over the years because my print shipped in two distinct parts "Shoah - Period 1" (15 reels) and "Shoah - Period 2" (16 reels).

I will post the complete details on this print in the "Feature Info" forum when I've checked the entire show (probably tomorrow some time) but, for now, I can say that Period 1 contains an "Entr'Acte" title card at the end of Reel 8, and then it closes with "End of the First Era" (and credits) at the end of Reel 15.

So the answer is "Yes, Virginia, there is a built-in intermission in SHOAH."

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2011 05:07 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the print i saw in february was, as manny says, 31 reels, with intermissions after reel 8 of the first part, and reel 9 of the second.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-13-2011 07:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again...

Entr'Acte at tail of Reel-8 (both parts).

Also, although my boxes are all labeled "Print #00002" the tail of the final reel says "Print #4" -- oh my!

I'll post a proper report in the other thread but I guess we've learned something here -- your mileage (or print) may vary.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2011 06:23 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny... i looked again at my timings of the reels and there were no two that could have been doubled up. to fit the first part (as seen by me) of the second era onto 8 quite full reels would require major surgery. so it looks like the break in your print comes earlier.

going by my memory of the "intermission" tag's appearance, i suspect it was spliced in by the projectionist. was yours actually printed into the reel?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: