Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Delay Setteing

Author Topic: DTS Delay Setteing
Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI..Everyone,

My projector head is strong millenium. I've install the DTS reader on top of a CAT702 reader. i'm using DTS-6. Now the sound does not sync. Can anyone guide me on what the delay setting is on DTS-6.

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 03:16 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all you have to do is thread a strip of scrap film through your digital readers down to the lens of the projector head. Mark the frame that is lined up with the LED pickup in the DTS reader and mark the frame that is in the gate of the projector. Pull the strip of film out and count the frames. Unscrew the blue cover on the front of the DTS 6 and you will find the offset adjustment. Set the adjustment to the number of frames you counted. One is for every 10 frames, and the other is single. for a 24 frame offset you would set the dials to 20, and 4. At this point, thread a reel with DTS content and start projecting it. You can adjust lip sync by adjusting the single frame adjuster until you are satisfied with sync. See page 4-3 to 4-4 in the DTS 6 manual in the manuals warehouse.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-09-2011 03:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They make a target film for this purpose.

All you do is thread the film and put the "Start" mark (usually a star) next to the scanning point of the sound reader then look through the film aperture and read the number. Dial in that number and you have it.

I agree that it is best to run a test reel after you have made the adjustment to be sure the sound is in sync the way you want it to be. Even though the test film says it should be in sync, the way you thread the film can cause variance. Running a test ensures that you have threaded the film the way it's supposed to be but, if you have a good reason to thread differently (e.g. at rest but pre-pulldown versus post-pulldown) you have accounted for that difference.

You might also be able to eyeball (or, is that "earball") the sound into sync by playing a reel of film and adjusting till it's in sync but this should be reserved for emergencies only where test film is not available.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-09-2011 06:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't just count the frames.

DTS offset formula:

Count the number of frames between the LED on the reader and the projector aperture. Multiply by 1.25 and then subtract 1.

Then dial THAT number into the front of your DTS processor.

This is the procedure from the manuals. If you don't have a manual for your unit, you can download it from the "Warehouse" section.

(Does anybody know why it couldn't be as simple as counting the frames and dialing that number in??)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2011 10:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Make a loop of a trailer with dialogue. The camera doesn't have to be on the person talking, you just want talking to come through your booth monitor. Run the loop and switch back and forth between dts and analog DURING the words. You will VERY quickly tell if you are off, and I find this method more accurate than doing it "by the book" because if there IS a dropout, there is less of a chance (assuming you have good SR) that the dropout will be noticeable.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2011 07:38 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
Does anybody know why it couldn't be as simple as counting the frames and dialing that number in??
Haven't worked on too many DTS installs, but could it be the timecode is running at 29 non drop FPS?

Rick

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-10-2011 06:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the old system with earbuds: one analog, one digital. Adjust for no echo. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2011 08:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you thread through the Dolby reader as well, I believe the delay is 69. Easy number to remember.

quote: Manneth
(Does anybody know why it couldn't be as simple as counting the frames and dialing that number in??)
Because DTS operates at 30fps instead of 24. They were a little retarded when they created DTS.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-10-2011 09:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No they were not retarted time code is based on video at30 fps (actually 29...depending on if it is drop frame)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2011 11:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they were retarded because film is not videotape. Even so, the DTS unit could have been programmed so that it knows that every frame offset on the front of the unit as selected by the user = 1.33 timecode frames (or whatever the number is) and therefore you can have an actual reader to aperture frame offset. Just thread up any ol' leader, count the frames, dial it in and be done! They would have done this, but they had a little bit of the Down™ affecting their judgment.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-11-2011 06:17 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Brad's method a lot! [thumbsup]

Of course it requires consistency in setting the size of both upper and lower loops.

Now...if we could just fix the typo in the subject header.........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: