Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton FP30 stopping

Author Topic: Kinoton FP30 stopping
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 06:37 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It started when the projector stopped while the film was on. The film break alarm didn't go off. Now, every other show, the projector starts up, then stops, the film break alarm goes on then off then on full. I have swapped the film break relays with another projector's but the problem persisted. Today I took out the two IA6 motor start relays and put two spares in (used)...and now the projector as well as stopping, has had the dowser go up during the film! Has anyone else had this problem? I can only think now it must be a dodgy film break microswitch?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 07:12 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sally

Is this an older FP30A with the Red Roller or a newer FP30D with the IR film detector?

Ian

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 08:34 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an FP30D, and there are no red rollers. But the film break knob is red. (the part I pull out when threading)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-07-2011 11:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He meant the Red knob. It is a little hard to diagnose without knowing the specifics of the vintage.

The switch that the failsafe roller connects to is a suspect and so is the motor holding relay (Re2 in modern projectors). A lesser suspect and one that you said you changed was Re1. Don't forget about the platter either...if you have a Kinoton platter (or others can do it too)...there is a film break circuit/wrap detector circuit that can also shut the projector off.

-Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 10:29 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is on the right track...replace BOTH of those relays with new ones, not used, especially the ones from Kinoton.

Those relays are especially dodgy, a serious flaw on an otherwise great machine.

I just bought a full set to replace the ones in one of the UC Irvine HIB100 projectors, I got the NTE equivalents, they were about $7 each. I'll try to find the paperwork and get you the part number.

If you have a good electronics store near you (NOT FRYS or Radio Shack) they can cross reference one of the originals.

Oh, and I disabled those hideous red roller film breaks by loosening the bracket and swinging the reed switch out of the way.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 10:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My money's on the switch.

Bypass the switch for now to make sure you don't stop mid show. Of course, at the end of the film you're going to have to turn the motor off yourself or change the automation to have it do the job. The switches are readily available.

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 02:09 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys

I have replaced the dowser relay now just to eliminate those relays as the cause too but still the projector kept shutting down. When I restarted I pulled the film break towards me a bit more than it was already, and it was fine. I have noticed though that the red knob alun screw in the centre is extremely loose. No matter how many times I turn it, it isn't tightening up.
In order to bypass the film break, would I just have to disconnect the microswitch at the back...stupid question I guess but I've never done it.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 05:21 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it on one of my machines, no big deal. It's a very simple job. We're not using the feed and take-up on the projector. In case of film break, the transport system (vertical tower) has its own failsafe system that will shut everything down.

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well one of the small film break microswitch screws at the back of the projector was a bit loose so I tightened that up. The next show was fine, I have a spare microswitch on standby...not that my soldering skills are too flash!!

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 10:13 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a device in there like a motor controller (variable speed controller). I've had similar issues with a motor just winding down during a show for no apparent reason.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: