Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 buzzing.

Author Topic: CP500 buzzing.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2011 12:40 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a CP500 which is exhibiting some strange behavior.

Firstly - with nothing hooked up to it at all, no inputs no outputs, no cables (nothing at all) the processor produces a buzzing sound when nonsync 1 or 2 is selected. I hooked up my own amplified monitor to the Center output to monitor this.

Regular troubleshooting methods led me no where, so I swapped out every single circuit board with a set from another unit. The problem did not go away.

At this point, I'm thinking it might be a bad backplane, power supply, or somehow the front panel is knakering it up.

Any ideas?

As a side note, when dolby SR (format 4) is selected, the dialog comes out of the surrounds and slight crackling sounds from the center speaker. In Dolby Digital, the sound is fine except if you have something plugged into the nonsync input or external 6 channel input - then you get a 60hz buzz on the center channel.

This thing is whacky.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 07:52 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Robinson
dolby SR (format 4)
A-Type is Format 04; SR is Format 05. [Smile]

quote: Eric Robinson
In Dolby Digital, the sound is fine except if you have something plugged into the nonsync input or external 6 channel input - then you get a 60hz buzz on the center channel.
What would that "something" be? A simple ground loop isolator from Radio Shack may eliminate that hum.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 08:42 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, thanks for the correction:
04 Dolby Stereo A-type
05 Dolby Stereo SR

I could use ground loop isolation; however, I am more interested in getting to the root of the problem with the processor.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2011 09:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Dolby ALWAYS suspect the power supply first! Have you measured the DC rail voltages yet to confirm if any are off? It uses a switching type supply and sometimes when they fail or are failing the small ferrite transformer in the supply can produce loud noises...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-05-2011 05:03 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You DID connect the short jumper between ground and one of the output LOW terminals, didn't you? Won't work if you don't. Louis

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2011 02:46 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis! I thought it was only me (us as a company) that ever did that?!

CP500 was notorious for buzzing, we always installed them with a; an extra earth attached to the chassis, b; a link between on of the output - terminals (usually C-) and chassis. That at least gave you a quiet system in terms of processor and amps.

Now what happens with the inputs is another matter entirely, CP500 was irksome in that respect.

Eric, what you're describing about 05 SR, check A chain alignment and also cell wiring. Sound to me like something is throwing the decoder out of kilter, and as you've swapped all the cards that doesn't leave much.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Have you measured the DC rail voltages
No, but great idea. Ill check them with my scope to make sure they dont have any ripple. I'm assuming the ripple spec should be pretty tight?

quote: Louis Bornwasser
You DID connect the short jumper between ground and one of the output LOW terminals
That is too funny, because I used to do this as a hack at one of our old theatres that had buzzing CP45's. I could do this, but it's putting a band aid on an otherwise serious problem.

quote: Pete Naples
check A chain alignment
Swapping out all the boards may invalidate this suggestion.

cell wiring
Not an issue since it buzzes with nothing whatsoever hooked up to it, including optical reader.

I'm going to bring this unit over to another theatre whee we have a CP500 and I'll swap out the supply, backplane, and front panel. Somethings got to give.

I tried doing a repair exchange on the whole CP500, but I guess Dolby didn't have any to spare. So, I got to figure it out on site....Bad timing too because I'm swamped with a more important project.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2011 02:52 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that little wire link works on CP45s too!

"Swapping out all the boards may invalidate this suggestion."

How so? If the A chain is out of whack, enough to upset the decoder, no amount of board or processor swapping is going to make it good! I'm referring to the dialog being in the surrounds here, not the buzz.

Speaking of the buzz, I wonder if you're over complicating this? Perhaps your monitor amplifier that you're using for testing is to blame? Maybe look at the outputs on a 'scope with nothing else connected?

How about mains earth? A colleague had a situation like this year ago, turns out that the mains earth had come adrift in the distribution board, so it was bright and tight in the rack, but floating in the DB and not doing any earthign whatsoever.

You're right though, they are whacky processors. They sound OK when they are working, but can be a real PITA when they fall over.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2011 06:06 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How so? If the A chain is out of whack
[Roll Eyes] Sorry, I was thinking of a CP55 where the A Chain is on the cards. Oooops

Perhaps your monitor amplifier that you're using for testing is to blame?
Yes...this was my thought too. I disconnected it and hooked up another monitor type of device instead, problem still present. I have had booth monitors cause buzzing though in the past.

How about mains earth?
I plugged the processor into an extension cord and plugged it into various outlets in the booth, so I think this may be eliminated.

I guess I'll find out when I take the processor to another location. Thanks for all your inputs, they are all definitely areas to consider.

UPDATE
So, here's an update and a closure to the dilemma:
I swapped out the following components:
Power supply
Motherboard
Front Panel
Backplane
All of the internal card cage circuit boards Still Buzzing Now, I know I am insane.
I tried the little jumper from frame ground to one of the output grounds
- killed the buzz.
I don't have any more time or energy to investigate further.
Thanks for all the helpful advice! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: