Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Philips FP3 or Marin MP30 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Philips FP3 or Marin MP30
Julian Baquero
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage   Email Julian Baquero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some possibility of buying a pair of Philips FP3 or a Marin MP30. I have very little information about the Philips, can someone tell me how does one compare to the other. What is a reasonable price for any of the two machines in a good working condition.

Can anybody share more information about the Philips. Is it easy to upgrade? Can I use anamorphic lens with it? What type of sound reader comes by default? Reels up to what size can it use?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-01-2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't answer to any of these things, I think knowing what sound reader came with them out of the factory is pretty useless, since there's a decent chance the reader you're getting with the machine isn't the same one it originally came with. IMO, you should be asking the seller which reader is on the thing.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-01-2011 02:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not dealt with the Philips, but I have worked with the MP30. Here are a few thoughts:

The MP30 comes in several variants--some have xenon lamphouses, dubber attadments, etc. The version that you have will affect the value.

They take standard cinema lenses.

By default, they have white-light mono soundheads. If you are not showing recent (newer than ~2006, at least in the US) color prints, you may not care. It would probably be fairly easy to mount a digital penthouse reader on these if you wanted to go that route. I do not know if there is an LED conversion kit that will work out of the box on these units.

They will hold large reels (I don't know the exact diameter, but it is 24" at least) if that matters to you.

They use weird aperture plates that are unlike anything else that I have seen. The good thing is that they are just flat pieces of metal and would probably be easy to have made if necessary.

The exciter lamp is some weird thing that may or may not be available.

They are reasonably gentle on film, but I have had issues with a couple of excessively splicy test reels that run fine on a Simplex or Century.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2011 05:36 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have an FP3. These are lovely quiet machines but the reader is usually mono solar cell. These are quite difficult to upgrade to stereo, although it can be done. You also need to somehow replace the white exciter lamp with a red reader. My FP3 had a 2000' spool box but you can get spoolboxes to take up to 6000'.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2011 07:18 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Scott, I have no experience with the FP-3, but I own 2 MP-30's. Like most older equipment, if they were maintained and are in good condition they will give you years of trouble free operation with minimal maintenance. If they were not maintained and are in poor condition, they will be nothing but a headache. Both models are long discontinued, and as such parts are hard to come. For the MP-30, the most common thing to break is the main drive belt, but any industrial belting supplier can have these inexpensively made up for you. Same with the lamp fan belt.

To expand what Scott said about the exciter lamp, they originally came with a lamp that is no longer manufactured. The good news is these lamps tend to last forever. At one time there was a modification kit to change it over to a Cinemacanica exciter lamp, but I have never personally seen one.

I modified one of my MP-30's for analog Dolby Stereo. There is no off the shelf kits, it is a pain in the rear. Of course if you are planning to upgrade either projector to a red reader, it will not matter. However, there is no stock red reader upgrade for either.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-02-2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACP make a reader for the FP 5 to FP56. It is likely the soundhead is the same for the FP3.

Best way to find out is to send me a picture of the soundhead.

We replace the solar cell and all the optics as well as provide new electronics.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2011 03:55 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I have been very happy with my FP3, it is not without it's problems.

The soundhead on the Philips is a reverse of the regular Philips soundhead, so nothing made for regular Philips projectors will work. (I would LOVE to be proven wrong here)
When the exciter I am using dies, I'm going to break the glass and solder a star LED where the filament was. Mine has stereo sound added by gluing a stereo cell on the end of the glass light pipe and ditching the photoelectric tube.

You cannot add digital sound to these machines as the spoolbox and projector head form one contiguous unit, and there is no room to mount anything without modifying it to the point where it would be easier to buy something else. Parts are very scarce.

The maximum internal lamp is 1000w incandescent, but the original globes don't exist anymore, so you will need to modify it for something else like a theatrical lamp when they die.

It usually comes with 2000ft spoolbox, but there is a 6000ft one, although it is rarer.

It originally came with an anamorphic lens holder, however mine is missing it. The lens mount is 7cm.

The Philips uses european reel spindles which it's quite hard to find reels for in some parts of the world.

FP3 Soundhead
 -
Silver cover used to house PE cell. You can see the wires of the solar cell running up what was the light pipe. The exciter holder has the lamp alignment pin on the bottom making it incompatible even with JAX.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2011 10:10 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an FP 3, too.

Main difference is about sprocket drums. Philips has one large diameter combined sprocket drum, Marin has two 32-tooth-pair drums. You will find a shrinkage limit with the Marin while the Philips definitely accepts only fresh triacetate or polyester base film.

The Philips which is of Nitzsche ancestry (Saxony) brings light in over a mirror from the left side. The Marin has straight light path.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2011 10:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience on the MP-30(there were a few in Chicago that I serviced) has been that they are much harder on film and the intermittent is vastly inferior to whats in the FP-3. Don't expect to be able to get many spare parts for either...!

Mark

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2011 10:46 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably not a concern for you, and it would destroy the projector in the event of fire anyway, but the Philips was equipped with nitrate protection. Loops above and below the gate made of string when burnt shut down the lamp, motor and a guillotine cuts the film and blocks the magazine opening.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-02-2011 11:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A BACP RSTR2000 KK reader intended for the FP20 will fit this sound head with a little work.

The LED bracket will fit into the space now occupied by the PEC cell.

The existing lens is replaced with a BACP lens/solar cell.

It is an analog-only reader so whether it is worth the trouble is another issue.

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 06:42 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always interesting to read comments about something that you're intimately familiar with.
In this case where it's about the FP-3 and the Marin (from Spain)
projector the above applies.
First: As somebody stated earlier, The FP-3 has no Nitsche ancestry at all. This is utter nonsense. The FP-3 was designed
on a Sunday by my old, late, friend Jan Kotte who was the
designing engineer of all Philips projectors. He's the man of the
DP-70 or Norelco AA as it was called in the U.S.
Mr. Kotte was very fond of the FP-3, and rightly so.
It is extremely quiet, has a picture steadiness that's cannot
be improved upon and it is the most "forgiving" projector around.
It is extremely gentle to film and won't derail with a tear or
other mechanical defects the film might have.
Also the design is very elegant.
Conversion to 36V 400 Watt as a light source can be done elegantly. Have done more than six or seven over the years.
Conversion to stereo is also straightforward. Remove the glass
light rod and replace with small hollow tube of same dimensions
and put stereo cell (nicely at proper angle of course) on tip
of tube and go through alignment process.
The soundhead lay out is exactly the same as Mr. Kotte's later
design, the FP-20
So whether you want to keep it simple or go for example with
BACP, it's all possible and do-able.
Comparing this superbly engineered projector with the Marin,
which is just a projector and nothing more, is like comparing
two different world of engineering. The Marin lacks any
sophistication and is a crudely made thing like a lawn mower that indeed does work but falls miles short of the design sophistication and attention to detail in all departments of the Philips. I can tell you a lot about the FP-3, like the story about the Philips sprockets of Kotte design. They take film shrinkage into consideration. A fact that many are not aware of.
So if quality is your thing this is a no brainer! Go with the Philips.
If all of the above does'nt mean anything to you, please get the Marin and leave the FP-3 for someone who knows....

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 08:13 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s always annoying to see someone cite a name incorrectly.

I’d like to apologize for my false information and any wrong I did to Jan Kotte by it.

Still, some resemblance between the Philips design EL 8710 and the Nitzsche Kinino and Castor cannot be denied. Mr. Kotte may well have known those makes from the 1920ies.

Julian Baquero
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 09:45 AM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage   Email Julian Baquero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone who has reply to my post. I have learned a ton form the post and I can make a better picture of both machines. I was offered a Marin, but I think the owner was asking far to much for it. I knew nothing about the history of the FP3, no that I've been enlighten, I will certainly concentrate in getting one.

One final question, how much is a fair price? There are 5 available in Venezuela, but the owner is asking for the equivalent of $10.000 USD for each one! which I think is crazy. That is about twice or triple what a Microcine Mignon or a Cinemeccanica Portacine would cost.

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 11:43 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Julian, Ten thousand dollars is too much indeed.
I've acquired one for a friend some time ago via German Ebay for
around $800.00 which was extremely cheap. An average price would
be somewhere around the two- to three K in Dollars. Allow
yourself some time to find a nice one.
What is nice, is to go to youtube and see the video called:
The Philips FP3 35mm Projector.
Nicely made and it gives you at least some idea of what you're
gonna get.... If you're lucky, that is!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: