Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Digital/Surround Sound Problems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Digital/Surround Sound Problems
Justin Schroepfer
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2011 05:50 PM      Profile for Justin Schroepfer   Email Justin Schroepfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the problem is, but here are the symptoms:

Recently, while playing a 35mm print, the sound has been switching back and forth from digital to surround, when it should just be staying on digital.

This has happened on more than one print, but also seems to be sporadic: Sometimes the sound would be fine with a print, then later it wouldn't. However once it does happen, it doesn't go away for a while, but eventually will. Then it happens again...

I've tried cleaning the sound head thoroughly and the light bulb in it was changed only a month ago.

I need help diagnosing this problem so it can be fixed. If you need anymore info just ask and I will respond as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2011 06:16 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you noticed high error rates?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-29-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Equipment type and model please. A photo may assist.

Justin Schroepfer
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2011 07:48 PM      Profile for Justin Schroepfer   Email Justin Schroepfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soundhead: Dolby Digital Cat. No. 700
Processor: Dolby CP500
Projector: Simplex 35/70

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-29-2011 08:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the film bounce about on its way to the reader?

What error rate is the film reading in the 500? Does it fault?

Has anything in this booth changed that could correlate with the arrival of the problem?

Justin Schroepfer
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2011 08:54 PM      Profile for Justin Schroepfer   Email Justin Schroepfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this in the CP500 manual. It describes the symptom perfectly...

-

...but it says the problem would be caused by a print without dolby digital, but the print we are using now played in dolby digital in the past.

It also suggests that maybe the data blocks in between sprocket holes could be damaged, but the print is in very good condition so I doubt that would be the problem.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-29-2011 10:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you have another projector that you could use -- with this print -- to see if the problem goes away? if the problem goes away, then the fault is not with the print, but instead it would lie somewhere in that particular SRD system.

Alternatively, do you have other SRD material you could try with this projector, to see if you get the analog reversion continuing to happen?

The data blocks may look good to the human eye, but there may be enough going on there to confuse your system. Is there a predictable, repeatable pattern with the reversions to analog? does it happen in the same portions of the show? if so, that would point to damage to the SRD data blocks between perforations. in that case, there may be something in your film path that is scratching that area of the print.

I've also seen this with improper threading of the reader -- lack (or loss) of tension. You are new to this website...are you also new to projection?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-30-2011 12:45 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Change the bulb in the CAT 700 soundhead, using the one from Dolby, NOT any other type/brand. Make sure it is seated properly in the holder.

Check the condition of the electrical connections to the CAT 700 power supply and to the bulb..if any are loose/burned replace.

Check the condition of the lightpipe with the CAT 700 lamp powered up..if it is yellowed or has dark spots, replace it.

Gently clean the CAT 700 reader lens with a clean cotton swab.

Make sure the reader is being threaded properly...especially if you have new booth staff that started work recently.

David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2011 02:59 AM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Justin,

Do you have a SRD tag, trailer etc that you have run recently that did not fault ? If you do I would splice together a 8-10 foot loop that you can run thru the reader and projector. Run it for say 10 mins ocnstantly checking the error rate. Also I found using filmguard on a print to actually decrease error rates by cleaning the srd blocks on the print.

Cheers,

David.

Justin Schroepfer
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Justin Schroepfer   Email Justin Schroepfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies. I'll start looking at the things you have all suggested soon.

We did move the problem print to another projector and will be played tonight, so if I have similar problems with this other (newer) projector then the print itself could be at fault.

As for my projection experience, I'm not completely new but I'm not a veteran. At this theatre, I probably have the most projection experience, or close to.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2011 08:16 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Schroepfer
the light bulb in it was changed only a month ago
Was it properly aligned and what are the error readings? Sounds like this could be the culprit.

Rick

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2011 11:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen light pipes get knocked out of alignment when one is lacing that reader..

Justin Schroepfer
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2011 05:31 PM      Profile for Justin Schroepfer   Email Justin Schroepfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE:

The problem still exists. But, I have noticed now that the 'tension arm rollers' on the Cat. 700 sound head are wobbling and bouncing up and down much more than I think they should be.

Could that cause the problem of not picking up the digital audio track and switching back and forth between surround and digital?

Also, how could this problem be fixed?

Thank you all, once again, for helping me out with this.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2011 09:07 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely the airpot inside the 700 has been damaged. Call your tech.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2011 02:43 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what kind of platter do you have? does the problem correlate with what deck you're feeding from?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: