Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SRD High error rate on FP30

Author Topic: SRD High error rate on FP30
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been getting quite high error rates from the dolby digital reader on my Kinoton FP30 with a CP500. Brand new trailers will run at 6 at the very lowest. Most digital tracks will be at 7 with the majority of older prints running at F.

I've searched on the forum and I notice that the video level is important. Could this be the problem? If so, how can I adjust it? I am handy with a scope, but I need to know how and what to adjust and where to measure.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is the LED? I'd start there.

I don't know your skill level but in my experience if you have to ask this question, you probably shouldn't mess with it but rather get a tech. Any number of things could go wrong if you're not experienced with the unit in question.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2011 06:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Dominic. The outstanding odds are anything you do to the machine will only make it worse.

It is time to call in your tech.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2011 08:26 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your CP500 is on 24 hours a day,it may help a tad to power it down ,off and then back on. I found they go into a fog if on constantly.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2011 12:10 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is the LED? Might just need a little gain adjust... but a tech is probably best.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2011 04:46 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As regards the age of the LED, I'm not too sure. I obtained the projector recently and I know it was manufactured in 2001/2 so at the most, it's ten years old. As I'm just using this in a home screening room, I was hoping to adjust it myself but after reading the good advice above, I've got the number of a local tech!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-29-2011 05:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's for your screening room, then there is really nothing to lose by doing the alignment yourself. Worst case, you need the tech anyway. Best case, you might learn something and save money. Since it isn't a commercial theatre, you don't have the concern about losing shows.

Everything you need to know is in the CP500 or DA20 manual.

The Kinoton readers are at least as good as the Dolby penthouse readers, if not better. I have never done the alignment on these, but have operated several well-maintained booths that have them. You should have no problem getting 2s and 3s on most prints (and even the occasional 0s and 1s) if everything is set up correctly.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-29-2011 06:14 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try turning up the wick on it first although I've had more success doing this with the system faulting. I doubt turning it up is going to get you a much better error rate if any better at all.

There should be two pots in the back of the machine, one for analogue and one for digital.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-29-2011 06:27 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this projector have the O-rings on the edges of the lay down roller? They may be worn out. The latest ones are green not black.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2011 11:00 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rings seem to be green ones and they look to be in good condition.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: