Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UA "Odyssey" and Mann 1999 policy trailers

Author Topic: UA "Odyssey" and Mann 1999 policy trailers
Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2011 12:15 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this humorous incident after lurking around the FT forums.
quote: Joe Redifer
As far as UA goes, I think that as of this writing they are playing Blade Runner 2: ODDyssey. That has Dolby Digital, SDDS, and DTS timecode. Too bad the DTS version was NEVER put on any discs! In an odd twist of fate, the old Mann policy had the 6 track sound on the DTS discs (sounds GREAT) but no timecode on any of the trailers ever printed! What was even weirder was that if you cut the UA ODDyssey trailer tail too late, the Mann music will start playing in DTS in your UA theatre! I had this happen and I laughed my ass off.
So since I presume both trailers are at the Film-Tech warehouse, I decided to play the mentioned UA trailer muted and synced up to the audio of the Mann policy, and believe it or not, cues actually synced up with each other and you could've sworn it was the original soundtrack! I laughed my ass off like how Joe did!

I then tried syncing the Mann trailer with the audio of the UA trailer and guess what? Cues synced! It is so creepy, as if like Mann and UA had this odd relationship with each other.

In case you're lazy, here are the two trailers for you to try it out yourself. Start the video source first, then begin the audio source.

UA: http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=1818&category=3
Mann: http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=1823&category=3

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-27-2011 05:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting that those two are fairly similar in length, but below is the link to the earlier Mann Feature Presentation audio I was able to extract off of the DTS disc using my magical techniques:

Mann DTS audio which never had appropriate timecode except at the end of a UA trailer

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2011 07:04 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, it might be a bit off-topic, but how were you able to extract audio from a DTS trailer disc? I think it would be a good tip for collecting, but I know a magician never reveals his secrets.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-28-2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He might've used the winamp plugin that worked for extracting songs on DTS discs. Now, I said "worked" because they made changes to the discs years ago that made the software no longer work.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Connor, go to the warehouse and click on tips. The procedure of how to fit 3 DTS discs worth of audio on 2 discs shows how to extract the audio files.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-28-2011 12:21 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Pickett
The procedure of how to fit 3 DTS discs worth of audio on 2 discs shows how to extract the audio files.
Actually, it doesn't. It only shows you how to find the AUD file that would contain sound for all the trailers. That doesn't extract it into a form that would be playable on anything other than a DTS system.

And it really only shows you how to find the trailer AUD file and delete it, rather than extract it. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, the idea is to re-burn onto two 700MB discs rather than three 650MB discs. If the overblown trailer audio has to be deleted to make that happen, even better. [Razz]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-29-2011 01:35 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm aware of how that works. But the original question was about how Joe was able to get the audio for this trailer extracted from the disc and I was pointing out that the suggestion of looking at the guide in question wouldn't really help for that at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: