Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » need help in selecting kinoton or simplex?

Author Topic: need help in selecting kinoton or simplex?
Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 06:38 AM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have two choices in projectors in pakistan. Kinoton FP 50A with console rack SK 50A ,and the other is Simplex Millenium II with Highlight II console.which one is better as i am more concern with picture quality/brightness and steadiness.maintaining will not be an issue as we will have just two screens.
i have to order one of them pls help me in selecting
thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2011 09:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple...Kinoton. It is the steadiest and most light efficient.

Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 10:17 AM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks steve,what about this specific model of kinoton,as on net d series is well popular ,how about this this a series of kinoton?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FP50 series are "console" type projectors. I've always preferred column or "separates"...which for Kinoton would be the FP30 or FP20 series. That is a personal preference, however.

As to the A version...they are the the least expensive and they remove some features of the D and the E series. For instance, the motor in the A series is not direct coupled but instead connects to the intermittent by a belt and pulley system. The A series does not use an inverter to power the motor whereas the D and E series do. If you are going to have a lens turret, the A series has a fixed turret, the D and E series have a mechanism to move the lenses out of the way a bit for threading.

The drive train between the A and D series are identical...as are the projection film path. Thus, presentation wise, there should be no difference between the A and D series.

The E series is another animal all together. It does have a different gate and an entirely different drive system as it has quite a bit of electronics on-board.

My preference is definitely E, then D then A. The E is the most light efficient and the easiest on the film plus it is the steadiest.

The FP50 is available in A, D or E versions.

-Steve

Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hope A series is bettter then simplex in terms of steadiness,brightness.thanx once again steve.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-19-2011 12:45 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinoton lamphouse is better than the Strong.
The Kinoton projected image is steadier that a Simplex.
The differences between A and D are minimal. If you need the extra features then a D is for you.
The E projector is a different beast, it's got some interesting features that I doubt you would need for a normal cinema and servicing it is complex... not a problem if you have a Kinoton trained tech nearby with all the special tools required. It is brighter because the intermittent sprocket is on a stepper motor that pulls down faster than the A&D models' mechanical Geneva intermittent. The shutter is also on its own motor and has less dark time to match the faster pulldown, so you get more light on screen that with the A or D.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 01:04 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Choice between a Kinoton and Simplex Millenium?

There is no choice, Kinoton.

I've installed and service both. Kinoton works straight out of the box, OK I can better the A chain & SR.D alignment slightly, but at least it's on the park. Last lot of Simplex I put in, all had A chains & SR.D readers with tags attached, boxes ticked 'flat to 16KHz' etc. Which I found interesting as most were so far out they were scanning the frame lines!
Simplex has a bouncy picture, especially if you put it side by side with the Kinoton.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: