Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm Dolby Format 42 & 43 Compatibility Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70mm Dolby Format 42 & 43 Compatibility Question
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 04:33 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those with experience running 70mm-Dolby...

What happens if a 70mm-Dolby print intended to be played in Format 42 is played in Format 43? In such a scenario, I understand the left, center and right screen channels should be unaffected, but what happens to the surround and baby boom? If a #42 print is mistakenly played back as #43, will the audience hear any surround or baby boom?

Here's why I ask... The other day I attended a screening of a 70mm print and I suspect the sound may have been played back in the wrong format. I presume the film in question was a Format 42 mix, but after the screening I was informed it had been played in Format 43. During the presentation I detected no surround or baby boom, and I'm trying to determine if the film was deliberately mixed without any surround and deep bass content or if the film was played in the wrong format.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And the title and theater was?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 04:43 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Highlander. American Cinematheque's Egyptian, Los Angeles.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 05:17 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I assume sub-bass would be played back correctly. As for the surrounds, you would only hear low frequencies below 500Hz, and no treble as they're taken from tracks #2 and #4 in format 43, where they are not present in format 42.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-18-2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be no surround at all (even if the loudspeakers are capable of reproducing low frequencies), as the processor should high-pass tracks 2&4 before sending them to the surrounds (and low-pass them before sending to the sub). Sub output should be normal, however.

Going the other way, a format 43 print will play fine in format 42, but with mono surround.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-18-2011 06:25 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What cinema processor? CP200 with or without aux rack?

CP500, CP650?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 11:19 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP200.

quote: Scott Norwood
Sub output should be normal, however.
I didn't detect any. If what you're saying is correct, then what would explain my lack of detecting any subwoofer content (other than the possibility none had been recorded)?

quote: Scott Norwood
There should be no surround at all (even if the loudspeakers are capable of reproducing low frequencies), as the processor should high-pass tracks 2&4 before sending them to the surrounds (and low-pass them before sending to the sub).
And I didn't detect any surround. But...the film cans included a (hand-written) notation indicating "Stereo Surround" (see photo).

-

The "Stereo Surround" indication on the cans was interpreted by the projection staff to mean: play in Format 43. (As far as I know, there weren't any sound format indications on the leaders or any printed enclosure.) However, Dolby's master list of Dolby Stereo films lists Highlander as "70" (rather than "70SS"), which is one reason, along with not hearing any surround during the presentation, that I think the title is actually a Format 42 mix. But if it is, in fact, a Format 43 mix, and the staff played it properly, what then would explain not hearing any surround content?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-19-2011 12:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe two things:

1-The labeled can was for another print.. or,
2-The Staff didn't know the difference between the two formats.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2011 01:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not ran that one in 70, but I find it odd the theater didn't pre-run the print (at which point if they had any sense of what they were doing would have noticed the lack of surrounds and thought to themselves "hmmm, maybe that red marker on the cans isn't the correct information...let's try format 42" and figured it out).

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-19-2011 08:42 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with an installer involved and was told it was a 650. Is there more than one 70mm screen?

If it is a 200, there could be a number of reasons for no subs aside for improper setup or installation. The 142 or 160 cards could be manually turned off for some reason, etc.

I could come up with more reasons, but aside from faults, even played in the wrong format, there should be subs present.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 09:09 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The American Cinematheque's Egyptian has two screens, but only one that is 70mm capable. Or, at least, I hope the 78 seat house isn't also 70mm capable.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2011 09:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott is wrong, btw, a Format 42 print played in format 43 WILL have the bass section of the surround track played by the surrounds. Subwoofer/Bass Enhancement will be un affected by the format mix up, however.

With a CP200, a quick check for format 42/43 is to look at the meters...if Le/S/Re all track together when the S meter moves..it is likely Stereo surround. If, on the other hand, S moves but Le/Re don't...it is most definitely Format 42.

-Steve

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 11:50 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I find it odd the theater didn't pre-run the print
They did pre-run the print.

quote: Sam D. Chavez
I checked with an installer involved and was told it was a 650.
The CP200 claim came from their Chief Projectionist minutes before I posted.

Although this may not be large or sharp enough to detect model numbers, here's a photo I took a couple of years ago of the audio racks of the Egyptian's main booth.

-

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-19-2011 05:26 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt picture shows a 200 with an aux rack. Maybe the other screen has the 650?

But we still don't know why no subs. Perhaps someone stole them or the amps is defective.

I notice DA20's. Is each projector on its own DA20, or are there more than two 35mm projectors?

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 05:28 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the processor between the DA20 and the DTS6D ?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: