Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor 3d vertical dimness

Author Topic: Technicolor 3d vertical dimness
Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2011 06:28 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so we played Captain America 3d two weeks ago in our 3d house, and I would routinely notice that there would be vertical bars of dimness that would come and go between different shots on the right side of the screen. I was thinking this means that the picture was not shooting out both eyes to cover the whole screen, but wonder how common this is.

With Final Destination 3d, the issue is not replicating itself, relegating the issue to just our print of Captain America, and not our aperture. Captain America's 2d print did not have this issue from what I saw of it.

Anyone have any insight to this?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-17-2011 08:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...sounds like a tired bulb. What is the condition of the bulb?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2011 09:04 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a small red line on the right side of Harry Potter Tech 3D.
I wonder if print quality control is the reason?
Also seeing framing moving up and down reel to reel and it's hard to decide where to leave the framing knob lately.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2011 09:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again guys. All you need to do is run a fresh loop of L/R target film and if that looks good then the print you got is bad. If the print is bad I guarantee you Technicolor wants to know about it and will probably replace it. Oh, and I too have seen a print jump out of frame from left eye to right eye... it was just solved by running the print through and watching it to reverse eyes. A simple splice corrected it but then the frame line indicators were off... no big deal there really.

Mark

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2011 09:55 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean jump out of frame,just slightly up or down from perfectly framed.Trailers are very bad for that.

It is not my place at this venue to do anything with the Tech 3D since I was not around when the training went down.I can only report what I see. [Frown] What I see is always a couple days into the run.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2011 10:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be some 3-D target footage in the lens case. Running a loop is pretty easy to do. In my case different reels had different L eye - R eye framing. Caused the 3-D to go out of phase. Customers had to put theor glasses on upside down.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2011 10:06 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The verticle bars are most likely the dynamic frame that technicolor used to maintain the window effect some films have it some don't

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 05:41 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lamp is relatively new.
I didn't hear about this...Or is this that thing Ron was on about?
Cause sometimes he imagines things that aren't really there...

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 06:26 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the same thing with my tech3D print of Captain America as well. It wasn't distracting to me so I didn't bother calling technicolor. I haven't noticed it on any other 3D prints though.

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 08:17 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
I didn't hear about this...
It was like Tom says:
quote: Tom Wienholt
It wasn't distracting to me...
And I didn't notice it till two weeks after our Dry Run.

Mark - We've been running the test loop on a regular basis (every 3 nights or so), and no irregularities there (minor adjustments to help horizontal convergence usually). What I wanted to hear is if anyone else experienced issues like this on Captain America, or other Tech 3d prints. Since Tom reports the same issue on his print, I'm more inclined to believe that its a problem specific to prints for Captain in Tech 3d.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2011 09:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably what Gord mentioned... the variable window. Thor had it and it was plainly visible with the glasses off. You don't notice it or really shouldn't with them on.

Mark

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2011 04:33 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking about floating window or something else?

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2011 06:35 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its floating window, this movie is assuredly not. But i think they're actually talking about some other effect, the purpose of which i cannot even guess.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2011 06:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly you have the wrong aperature plate in or upside down. That happened to me at one site... Caused a nasty shadow on the bottom of the image. Pull the aperature plate out and see if it gets better. Has to be filed out to full frame height and width!

Mark

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Verified it was the proper plate after performance. The shading was not constant, but on specific camera shots. Namely evident in the times square shots with Samuel Jackson at the end.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: