Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby "Train" Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dolby "Train" Trailer
Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I was just asking for more info on several versions of this specific trailer. First, I'll give you what I know.

The first version had a supposedly spectacular mix which started quiet, then got loud out of nowhere. It was kind of THX-esque, and from what I've learned lurking on the forums, this scared little kiddies before The Lion King at GCC Northpark West screen 1!

The second version had a different, weaker mix after complaints from exhibitors that the previous version blew up their speakers! LOL

And the third, final version is said to be the worst of all. The five pings that circled all five channels have been reduced to 3 or 4, the entire mix is just as bad, if not worse, and the old silver Dolby Stereo Digital logo was replaced with a newer, gold Dolby Digital logo.

There have been other different variants of that trailer, but probably only appeared on TV, Laserdisc, DVD, etc. One example is the third version with the old Dolby Stereo Digital logo on the North American Widescreen THX Laserdisc of Stargate (1994).

Here are some different uploads of the "Train" trailer on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcc96o_Vck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFr-rgdoiSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8q3SwU0h88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NpDoNEVbhM (starts at 0:26)

Do you have any more information about this trailer? Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-15-2011 10:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the above, the only knowledge I have is that it's not available as a DCP which is a cryin' shame. I would take any version. We're using the Countdown and the Sphere, which are both cool, but we're a railroad town so I want the train back, dammit!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2011 10:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to get everyone to picket outside the Dolby Booth at the next Cinema Con until they agree to re-rail the train!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-15-2011 11:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no need for a DCP unless they dig out the ORIGINAL mix.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2011 11:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pay the price of a ticket to hear the legendary original mix. Hell, they could slap it in front of Glee 3D and I'd go.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see Dolby City again...the original one not that silly CGI one floating around.

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2011 12:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, there was another one that was destroyed by remixing it.

Speaking of screwing up sound logos, I wish I could find my copy of the THX Cimarron with the original mix. It was sweeeeeeeeet! THX claims to know nothing about it, but it DOES exist. One of these days it will surface and I will record it and post it here (and send a copy to Lucasfilm so they can see what I am talking about).

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2011 04:46 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's such a shame if THX themselves pretend knowing nothing about it. The original Cimarron was the best THX trailer ever. Especially the 70mm version when played in Dolby SR (the 70mm version was in SR as well as the 35mm version, if I remember correctly). It gave me goosebump every time. I've been endlessly searching Google for it.

Due to the higher dynamics of magnetic sound, the Broadway trailer was quite spectacular as well in 70mm. It was the time where trailer designers had in mind that it was supposed to demonstrate the potentialities of a sound system, and trailers gave you the physical sensation of sound.

The original Train for Dolby Digital was damn good, especially when shown in scope. It featured the original label of the technology, "Dolby Stereo Digital" in silver letters.

When you think about it, all this is already a quarter-century old on average. I pity the youngsters who haven't experienced that era. But back then again, my father who belongs to the Cinerama generation was saying the same when witnessing the excitment of people for 70mm blow-up prints in 1.85 ratio projected on flat screens...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-2011 05:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcc96o_Vck

This would *appear* to be the original mix (on Youtube, so take it as you will). There is no whistle, it says Dolby Stereo Digital, it's shorter than the whistle version. There's no way to hear it the way it was meant to sound on Youtube, though. I wonder how this Youtube version was created. I've personally had luck recording straight from the DA20 two tracks at a time (which is also beneficial because no EQ is introduced into the signal).

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-16-2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The You Tube version posted looks to be the original. I saw/heard a variety of preliminary sound mixes as I was among several people who worked on this project. The version first played in cinemas was toned down a bit on the sub channel as there were not a lot of cinemas that could play it without clipping and there were perhaps a total of 500 cinemas with SR.D equipment.

It's funny how nostalgia works. At the time we all considered it kind of low budget and minimal, but it was a first for Dolby to compete with THX trailers.

It was later made in a longer version etc. and I lost track as I had left Dolby to start my own company.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a comment on that Youtube page Joe. Hopefully they reply. It looks like it was uploaded recently too (14 July 2011).

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2011 12:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should all "like" Dolby's Facebook page and start asking about it. They seem to actively participate in the page. Here's a link to it: Dolby's Facebook

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-16-2011 12:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lionel Fouillen
It's such a shame if THX themselves pretend knowing nothing about it.
Why do you assume they're pretending? The people at THX now aren't the same people that were there back when THX first started (and THX started as a Lucasfilm thing so it's quite possible that no one around at the time to remember this works for them at all).

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2011 12:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted Mike.

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-16-2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first version had a supposedly spectacular mix which started quiet, then got loud out of nowhere. It was kind of THX-esque, and from what I've learned lurking on the forums, this scared little kiddies before The Lion King at GCC Northpark West screen 1!
Yeah, I personally witnessed this very thing at GCC Northpark #1. Funny. The intense drum slam on The Lion King title was also very startling. Testament to the dynamics of that theater's powerful and very well tuned sound system.

The original mix is somewhat similar to last Train mix featuring the 1995 Dolby Digital logo. Except the dynamics are a lot more robust.

The real payoff with that trailer is being in a movie theater whose sound system can truly handle and deliver the mix at reference level. I got hooked on the Northpark 1-2 theater with Jurassic Park. They played the THX Grand trailer and the original DTS Digital Experience trailer before the show. Whoa, was that dynamic. And the drum beats on the Jurassic Park opening title pounded the air in my chest.

If more commercial movie theaters could deliver those kinds of dynamics on a consistent basis the way Northpark 1-2 did, I would visit those particular theaters a lot more often. But the combination of PITA customers complaining about loud volume and corporate honchos wanting to cut maintenance costs really get in the way of that.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Besides the above, the only knowledge I have is that it's not available as a DCP which is a cryin' shame.
While a DCP version might be interesing there's really no need for it since Dolby Digital is a lossy compressed audio format. Digital cinema uses uncompressed Linear PCM audio. The only possibility I could see for it would be a Dolby Surround 7.1 d-cinema version of Train. But even there, I don't think Dolby branding makes any sense for LPCM, an audio format that doesn't involve any Dolby encoding process.

quote: Brad Miller
Speaking of screwing up sound logos, I wish I could find my copy of the THX Cimarron with the original mix. It was sweeeeeeeeet! THX claims to know nothing about it, but it DOES exist.
My favorite THX trailer. I saw a 70mm version of Cimarron on the front of Far and Away at a General Cinemas theater on Atlanta's north side. Very cool. Made the hair on the back of my head stand on end when the THX logo flew past the camera. The only other versions I've seen are 35mm SR optical and 35mm Dolby Digital.

I have a DVD style .VOB file of the Dolby Digital one. Still pretty fun to watch.

THX could make a DCP version of Cimarron. But it seems like THX certified theaters are almost as endangered as film-equipped IMAX theaters.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
While a DCP version might be interesing there's really no need for it since Dolby Digital is a lossy compressed audio format. Digital cinema uses uncompressed Linear PCM audio.
I don't care about any of that crap. I just want it because it looks and sounds cool, and has a good "theme" for our area. I've never heard the "original" mix mentioned above so now I REALLY want it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: