Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mounting a Kelmar to a rewind table?

Author Topic: Mounting a Kelmar to a rewind table?
Howard Zinman
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2011 08:38 PM      Profile for Howard Zinman   Email Howard Zinman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks,

I've seen photos of kelmar cleaners on rewind benches, and was wondering what bracket I could use to mount the cleaner to the bench? I'm not a projectionist (yet), and my knowledge of equipment is minimal. I'd like to treat some of my prints with FG, and have been offered a kelmar with projector bracket for a fair price. I'd love to pick it up, but I'm worried that I won't be able to make use of it. I have some 50 prints, in varying condition, and I bet film-guard could make them look great. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2011 10:09 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I think that's about the third one of these I've seen. Didn't Film-Tech once sell such a bracket? Sounds like there's a pent-up demand fir these. I believe I'd get one, too.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2011 10:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Neumade made them for us. I doubt there is enough demand to run more, but there is no special patent or anything if someone wants to approach Neumade about making some from that design.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-14-2011 10:47 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you also say that you'd prefer people use a regular mount that's on a wall with rollers to redirect so that you'd waste less film guard?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2011 11:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you been smoking some of that I-30 stuff lately, Chris?

What are you talking about? The media will distribute the same amount of FG whether it is mounted on a platter, projector, rewind table...or even the wall.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-15-2011 08:25 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months back Steve G posted a picture of his bench mounted cleaner. Not sure where the picture is, but maybe he can repost.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-15-2011 11:16 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
What are you talking about? The media will distribute the same amount of FG whether it is mounted on a platter, projector, rewind table...or even the wall.
Wasn't talking about it distributing unevenly. I swear you recommended someone on here attach it to the wall so that less would pool downward and drip to the floor but maybe someone else said that...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-15-2011 02:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a projector mount could mbe blocked up slightly and work perfectly on a rewind. Louis

Howard Zinman
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2011 07:34 PM      Profile for Howard Zinman   Email Howard Zinman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see a close up photo of how to mount a kelmar to a table. It's too bad that there's no demand to make another run of those brackets Brad commissioned.

Some searches have turned up some helpful stuff! Here's one thread:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003550;p=2#000020

Here's another:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/f1/t005596/p2.html

Thanks to Randy Stankey. His option looks like something I could do quite easily!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-15-2011 08:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar brackets I use are still available from Kelmar. I've yet to have a FG migration problem with the lean back. and putting stress on one edge of the film by not leaning the rollers is a big no-no...it WILL induce edgewave.

Howard Zinman
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2011 08:56 PM      Profile for Howard Zinman   Email Howard Zinman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused about the "lean back". It seems like the cleaner sits flush & level on the bench.

Thanks!

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-15-2011 10:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a Kelmar table, in lieu of latches on the spindles, Kelmar chose to lean the reals back so they don't fall off. Using the Kelmar brackets (the measuring machine bracket, specifically) has the cleaner have an identical lean back.

-Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-15-2011 10:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I've yet to have a FG migration problem with the lean back.
I've been working with FilmGuard for a little while now, and yes it DOES migrate towards the ground due to that pesky thing called gravity. In fact if you saturate a set of pads and let it sit for a day or two and leave the cleaner mounted on a projector mount (so the rolls are parallel to the floor), you will find the top side of the rolls are no longer as saturated as the bottom of the rolls.

quote: Steve Guttag
and putting stress on one edge of the film by not leaning the rollers is a big no-no...it WILL induce edgewave.
There are rollers on the incoming and exiting side of the cleaner. The film only has the most slightest of twist from the reel to either of the rollers on the film cleaner. Unless the cleaner was horribly out of align with the reels, there will absolutely not be any edgeweave risk. In fact twisting the film intentionally has a better chance of NOT causing edgeweave than running the film straight on a slightly skewed alignment of either reels or rollers.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-16-2011 12:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the cleaner is not left on the bracket over night...no migration has been noted in this set up.

Hitting the rollers at an angle on a rewinder will induce edgewave...it is a physical fact..you are stressing one side more than the other going both in and out...the load should always be distributed evenly across the entire surface of the film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: