Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » lamphouse vs lamphouse

Author Topic: lamphouse vs lamphouse
Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 03:21 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting kind of close to having assembled all the parts needed for both a single 35 system, and a single 35/70 system. Someone I was talking to criticized my having a Christie H-10 1k lamphouse, saying that it only gives out the (equivalent) light of a 500 watt bulb, and that I would be much better off getting something else. Is this a shared opinion?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-12-2011 10:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to use this in a theater then his comment is right on. If you are going to use this in a home screening room on a 20' wide screen... then ok on the 35mm only projector. You'll need something that can cover a 70mm aperature for the other... if you plan on running 70mm classics. Think in terms of Strong Super or Ultra 80 for that one. No 70mm beam spreader required with the Strongs! A Christie SLH (if you can find one) with 70mm beam spreader would be a good second choice...

Mark

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 02:28 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. But don't those lamhouses start at around 2k watt? Tough if you're renting and have to work with standard household single phase... Landlords do frown on tenants upgrading the service in their homes, even if it *is* a capitol improvement.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 06:32 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear they make phase converters though I've never used one in my life so ...

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 07:17 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run 70mm with an ORC M1000 moved back a bit and defocused and no beam spreader. Throw was about 22 feet to a 12 foot wide screen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-12-2011 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The M1000 is actually a better lamphouse by a long wy. Strong makes Switching rectifiers that run off of single phase 120 volts and 220 volts and that is probably your best option. They can be gotten relatively inexpensively. There is 1kw t0 3kw that runs off of single phase... Use it with just about any lampohouse out there...

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-13-2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL I was the one Jim was talking to..and I stand by my opinion. [Big Grin]

The Christie is not a good choice especially for the 70mm, no matter what is done.

I do have a nice Xetron 2k lamphosue with bulb adapters for 1k.

Jim, contact me by phone re your power situation.

I will be the one to most likely help Jim get this all fine-tuned.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2011 02:56 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to name names. Figure it's a privacy thing. Hi Tony. Will call.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: