Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Any service techs left in Kansas City or St. Louis Area?

Author Topic: Any service techs left in Kansas City or St. Louis Area?
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for a technician to come throughly check my sound in 3 of my 4 rooms. I have used Lanny Mann in the St. Louis area but I have not heard much from him recently as I believe he is retired.

I know Sonic is in the area but they far from impressed me the first time I had them make a service call. Before I signed the lease on my theater I had Lanny and Sonic come make a visit to check out equipment. Lanny ran film through it and actually got his hands dirty. Sonic however just visually inspected the equipment. No film ran through or anything. Their is a B&B Theater 20 mins away (sister company) but I do not know if that means anything.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Sonic is more into professional audio - like special venues and home theatre setups - than doing cinema sound, esp if that's all they do is just 'visual' the system and don't get their hands dirty.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-06-2011 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonic Equipment in Iola, KS is more into doing digital conversions than anything else. They also bought out Kneisley Electric and a few of Smart's products. You're not the first report of I've heard of Sonic performing poorly although I've always found their people to be friendly.

Not referring specifically to Sonic here but it's always the theater owner that ultimately finds out and says says to me "I should have never bought my booth from that company!" or "I guess these companies get everyone once." I've heard that quote so many times it gets old!

You should call Louis Bornwasser in Louisville if you're interested in getting first rate service on your filum gear. And if you are bring in someone unknown always ask for a few refrences before booking that unknown service entity.

Mark

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 03:42 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talked to Lanny today. He has a younger man named Travis making his service calls now as Lanny does not like to hit the road anymore. Lanny is still operating a couple of theaters.

Louis has come and performed work for me. The problem it is a 16 hour round trip and unfortunately he wants to get paid for his time:) I trust Lanny and if Lanny has a good person working for him/with him, I will go with that. Only 4 hour round trip in that case.

Sonic is a sister company to B&B Theaters and services all of their theaters plus they service the majority of small town theaters in the MO/KS area I would imagine. I believe they are a good company as I have mostly good luck buying from them in the past. It was just that 1st time that still does set well with me. Plus they are a 8 hour round trip anyway.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 07:58 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Strong Technical Services has at least one guy in the KC area.

As for anyone else, you could try calling Globe Cinemas (the drive-ins, The Phoenix and Noland Fashion Square), and see who they use. Their regular tech back when I was working there in the the 90's was the owners brother, and I am pretty sure they both retired, so they will have had to have found someone new, and they are a small enough chain that they would not have someone full time. Of course Daryl Smith and Globe Cinemas were once affiliated with B&B, so they may use the same company.

David Bowler
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2011 10:59 AM      Profile for David Bowler   Email David Bowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lanny and Travis have been running the Granite City theater in Illinois since it's opening last year. I've worked with these guys on and off for over ten years now. Both have helped me out on numerous occasions. Good people.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2011 02:11 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try these guys

Ringold Cinema Equipment
6220 S Lindbergh Blvd Ste 100C
Saint Louis, MO 63123
314-487-3283

Years ago I worked with John and Mike Mattler, I think they used Manny for some tech work. They might be able to give you a lead on a tech.

Rick

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2011 11:23 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I meant Lanny

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have dealt with Travis a few times over the years and have good experiences with him. I actually just met him in person about two months ago when he drove to Cleveland to get some equipment that he bought from me. His name is Travis Cape and he is a Film-Tech member. He is a good guy. Don't know the guy he is working for though. He did tell me he was working with a retired guy though and doing his service calls.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: