Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Being silent in true form in a 16-plex (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Being silent in true form in a 16-plex
Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FIRST, A FUNNY TRUE STORY:

So, this young couple walked into Brenden Theaters (our local 16-plex) with puzzled looks on their faces, watching a load of musical instruments being moved into auditorium #16. The young lady just had to ask me as she walked by, “Like…what’s going on here?” Never too busy to help a movie fan, I replied, “We’re loading in the orchestra for a silent movie.” With amazement she asks, “You mean they’re going to play the music for the movie, like… in person?” I nodded. After a pause for what looked like some serious consideration she said, “Wow! Is this like a NEW kind of thing??” I said, "Yes, it's called 3D SOUND!" :-)

NOW MY DILEMMA:

Well, thanks to the help of the many knowledgeable techs here on this forum our high school orchestra is about to perform their 5th silent movie, Harold Lloyd’s SAFETY LAST (1923) this August at Brenden Theaters and the tickets are almost all sold out three weeks before the performances begin. Now I’m forced to make a leap that I was hoping to avoid.

After being assured by Mr. Lloyd’s estate that SAFETY LAST will run fine at 24fps, I am now informed by others – including the film archives at UCLA that the print must be run at variable speeds between 20 and 22fps.

We have discussed ways to slow down a modern film projector on this forum before. I just hope that the Harold Lloyd Trust is right and the print WILL run at 24fps. It’s getting a little too close to the performance dates to start worrying about altering the theater’s projector :-/

Anyone here have any experience with Harold Lloyd’s films?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-23-2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check with your tech, but there is a device that hooks up to the wiring for the motor to adjust RPM output so you can run at that lower frame speed.

I think you'll be okey with the standard two wing shutter, but some venues running at this lower speed will put in three wing shutters to eliminate the flicker since the light will drop below 48 pulses when doing lower frame speeds.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-23-2011 01:59 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are inverters that act as a speed controls to the projector motor. The motor must be of the right type to be controlled by one of these devices. These are used all the time at film festivals.

The Brenden technicians should be able to pull this off and I can help if need be.

Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 02:12 PM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you :-) These are useful ideas this forum actually suggested these things to me last year when I was considering slower silent films. There is a great projectionist that was recommended to me back then (he has a cool secret agent name) who then offered to help. But because i'm running so close to the screening date and I still don't know for certain what the frame rate is for SAFETY LAST i may have to make the unenviable decision to run it at 24fps and take my chances :-/

Sam,

Thanks for your offer to help. I may take you up on it :-)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-23-2011 02:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the film shown at 24fps and thought that it looked fine at that frame rate. I don't remember thinking that it looked sped-up.

The potential issue, though, is if you scored and rehearsed with a video copy that was transferred at a lower rate. I don't have any suggestions, other than to try to get the print ASAP and watch at least one reel of it to determine if the speed matches whatever your reference copy is.

The new prints of many of the Lloyd titles (not sure about Safety Last in particular) have SRD digital soundtracks, even though they are printed full-aperture. This may mean that the film was stretch-printed, in which case you will be fine.

Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 02:34 PM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott thanks, that's comforting news. And, it's consistent with Mr. Lloyd's estate. Being a music teacher and not a film expert makes me nervous about these things. The kids do a great job every year on these films. I want it to go smoothly for them. We've been preparing for the possibility of a slightly faster run so they should be fine.

They've performed so far Metropolis; Wings; Adventures of prince Achmed and City Lights. And in August 10 and 11 Safety Last.

Wish us luck!! :-)

Ralph

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 04:32 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a 35mm print of this film ("Safety Last") back in Feb. in the San Diego Symphony Orchestra's theatre, Copley Symphony Hall in San Diego (nee "Fox Theatre" , San Diego). However, this screening wasn't with the orchestra, it was with their newly-refurbished Robert Morton pipe organ (which sounds terrific, BTW). And, one more aside, the light source for film projection there is carbon arc, so it's a total retro experience, for sure.

At any rate, my notes from the screening said: "Ran at 24fps. COULD be run slower, as action is a bit fast". The theatre installation is actually capable of variable speeds, but they opted to go with the faster rate because, sadly, today's audiences don't exactly have the same ability to appreciate movies with intertitles as they did almost 90 years ago, so, to keep the storyline moving, the faster frame rate was considered acceptable.

It's a judgement call, really. Yes, once upon a time it may have been projected at a slower rate, but on the other hand, if you can do a reasonable approximation of the original screen experience, and not run seriously afoul of today's finicky audience tastes, there's probably no harm done to run it slightly faster.

On the other hand, there are some older films, esp. dramatic ones, that more or less demand slower frame rates, down to as slow as 18fps. "Safety Last" is a comedy, and it doesn't particularly hurt to have it slightly sped up.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-23-2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Paul says, determining the speed is basically a judgment call. However, there are a few guidelines.

1 - the speed at which a film was shot in the camera and the speed at which the filmmakers intended it to be projected was not always the same. With slapstick comedies especially, it frequently happened that the filmmaker wanted a slightly higher projection speed than shooting speed in order to make the stunts look more spectacular. I don't know about Safety Last specifically, but there are surviving flyers that were put in the cans of prints of The General sent to theatres stating that it should be run at 24 (or 90 feet per minute - in those days, projection speeds were more commonly expressed in feet per minute than frames per second). I've seen one in the BFI Special Collections library.

2 - a sort of projection speed arms race happened during the '20s. Theatres wanted to increase speeds for two reasons. Firstly there was the phenomenon of so-called 'picture racing', which you'll find multiple references to in the trade papers of the time. Basically, in the case of longer films, theatres would run them faster to squeeze an extra show into the day. Secondly, as the '20s progressed and the bigger picture palace theatres started to be built, two-blade shutters started to be used in theatres to maximise light output. A two-blade shutter needs a higher speed to eliminate visible flicker. The studios responded to this trend by increasing shooting speeds. The main reason why 24fps was adopted as the sound standard is essentially because it had become a de facto standard projection speed by the late '20s anyway. By 1925-26, studios were working on the assumption that theatres would project at 24, and if they shot at a lower speed if was usually for a specific reason and with the intention that the footage should be projected faster.

3 - This rule of thumb applies a lot less to European films. In particular, most German and USSR silents were shot at 16-18 and intended to be projected at that speed right up until the conversion to sound. From the early 1920s onwards, 18-20 in France and 20-22 for Britain is a usually accurate rule of thumb.

quote: Paul Rayton
I ran a 35mm print of this film ("Safety Last") back in Feb. in the San Diego Symphony Orchestra's theatre, Copley Symphony Hall in San Diego (nee "Fox Theatre" , San Diego). However, this screening wasn't with the orchestra, it was with their newly-refurbished Robert Morton pipe organ (which sounds terrific, BTW).
Have there ever been any open-air silent screenings with the organ in Balboa Park? That would certainly be worth a trip!

Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 07:26 PM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Thank you,

I'm going to take a deep breath and try not to worry about the film speed for Safety Last. If the print I am getting has an included digital soundtrack it is obviously either "stretch printed", as Scott suggested, or is just accepted to run at 24fps as suggested by the others here.

Next year I was considering Sunrise (1927) which is a wonderful film but some holders of the print insist that it was meant to be played at variable speeds throughout the screening. I don't get it --- Sunrise was released in 1927 with its score on an optical soundtrack. could you imagine what the soundtrack would have sounded like in 1927 if the projectionist kept changing the speed during the movie??? It had to be a constant 24fps. Or is there something I 'm just not getting about the speed thing?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-24-2011 08:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ralph Martin
If the print I am getting has an included digital soundtrack it is obviously either "stretch printed", as Scott suggested, or is just accepted to run at 24fps as suggested by the others here.
I did see a modification to the Dolby digital system demonstrated at an AMIA conference a few years ago, whereby the number of channels encoded was reduced to 2.0 (i.e. the volume of data that had to be captured each second was reduced) in order to enable lower speed running. They demonstrated it with a Chaplin short from the early teens and it seemed to work fine. My memory is hazy, but if I remember correctly the only modification needed in the theatre (apart from a variable speed motor and three-blade shutter on the projectors, obviously) was a new firmware version in the CP. One very clever feature was that the correct projection speed was encoded into the Dolby data blocks, so that as soon as the first block was read a signal was sent to the inverter supplying power to the projector's motor, which automatically set the 'correct' (as in, what the archivists who restored the film believe is correct) speed. The projectionist just had to lace up and run, exactly as he or she would with a normal sound print. I don't know if this ever progressed beyond the experimental stage. I liked the idea of it, because with the audio data between the perfs you don't need to optically reduce the silent frame from full-gate to Academy, and so to release a film this way all you need to do is to print from an existing full-gate preservation negative and a new Dolby digital optical sound negative.

I don't get it --- Sunrise was released in 1927 with its score on an optical soundtrack. could you imagine what the soundtrack would have sounded like in 1927 if the projectionist kept changing the speed during the movie??? It had to be a constant 24fps. Or is there something I 'm just not getting about the speed thing?
You've got it right - Sunrise runs at 24. The only early sound issues to watch out for are De Forest Phonofilms (80 ft/min or about 21.5fps) and a very few very early RCA Photophones (85ft/min or 22fps). Fox Movietone and Warners' Vitaphone were 24 from the beginning and always.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2011 10:07 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the print I am getting has an included digital soundtrack it is obviously either "stretch printed", as Scott suggested, or is just accepted to run at 24fps as suggested by the others here.
Could it be worthwhile to contact whoever is supplying the print so that question is resolved ahead of time - might give you more peace of mind?

Also, if this is an annual event, how about having the projector in that particular house modified to do variable speed presentations? Sam has already very kindly offered his help as you've noted - now there's an offer you can't turn down!

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2011 07:23 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ralph, does the screen where the performance will be have a changeover pair of projectors or is the print allowed to be plattered? When I read about a classic title being shown in 35mm I assume it is an archive print made available under the restriction that it cannot be cut and must be run reel-to-reel.

Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2011 10:40 AM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon,

This is a standard 16-plex facility with platter systems. Fortunately we have always been able to platter the print with the blessing of the print holder. These are never archival prints but one of multiple prints that were struck for wider distribution.

I always make it clear to the holder that we will platter the print. Invariably they say, "That's fine, I have a print that I'm sure was plattered before without my permission. I can send that one to you."

Every company I've dealt with over the years has been extremely nice and helpful and more than willing to share their films with a new generation of young enthusiasts - even setting aside a print as the "okay for plattering print." :-)

Ralph Martin
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2011 08:36 PM      Profile for Ralph Martin   Email Ralph Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just received the 35mm print for "Safety Last" today and it is full frame with a Dolby Digital soundtrack. I guess that means 24fps.

Of course, we're not using the sound, but I suspect the speed issue has been laid to rest for this year.

Thanks again to everyone for your generous help. The good folks at at this forum have been instrumental in making our school's silent film presentations a highlight in out city!

Best wishes,

Ralph

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-30-2011 06:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it went well.

On the platter issue, some of the larger archives do have two circulating prints of their more frequently requested titles, one of which they will basically send anywhere and the other of which they will restrict to changeover houses. This often happens if they have an existing print and then carry out major restoration work on a title which results in a new print: in such cases they will then be more flexible on where the earlier version can go.

There is another potential workaround, which is to make a print up onto a platter, but leave the heads and tails in place, dousing the picture (and muting the sound if applicable) as they run through. I've done this in organising screenings at a number of conferences and temporary venues when the one projector and platter system is the only option and the archive refuses to allow the heads and tails to be cut. If you explain to the audience in advance that there'll be a 30-second or so break every 20 minutes 'because of technical issues in showing very old and rare material' (or some such wording), they will usually understand very well; and besides, in that situation, many of the audience will know why anyway. The one thing to watch is that you either need to ensure that the ends are spliced in rack or make an adjustment looking at the gate as the incoming leader runs down.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: