Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 650 calibration and other oddities of life.

Author Topic: 650 calibration and other oddities of life.
Richard Hebert
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2011 06:36 AM      Profile for Richard Hebert   Email Richard Hebert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Been testing a 650 in a very peculiar installation setup.
we got a project of a full blown cinema system in a room about 15 by 15 and a projection booth that houses racks , a 35 and a good 5000 lumen projector .Sound system is obviously overblown,a tad.
6 amps drive the 9 jbl boxes plus a dual 15 inch sub that has it's own two channels. Anyways , we ran in two problems while calibrating.First .. if you notice in the fine manual for the 650 it does not mention anywhere that you can save a load of trouble using the setup program on disk [Big Grin]

In the fully user manual backed procedure , we get the mic up and set , get the noise ,give the cal , the 650 takes it , then l r and c i got no trouble getting to 85 but for sl sr i cant get to it. im stuck to ( best of trials ) to 78 , 79 and can't get to 82 , but to make sure , i switched the amp channels and have the 85 with the surrounds ( 2 amps + 6 spkrs ) plugged in l r or c 650 outputs .Anyone has an idea ?

This is where we got in the cd and read the label .. saw the setup software , ( which is why i was making the , no comment , observation that there is no reference whatsoever anywhere in the manual about the setup software.) lol

So we try to install the software on our laptops.I run xp7 on the work laptop and we also had a vista laptop . on both we get the software running but on both we fail connecting.
I tried by ip .. but no such device shows in the connection dialog / menu only com ports. Do we really really need a xp or nt4 to exploit this software or is there a trick to get it running on those platforms ?

Thanks [Smile]

Richard

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-16-2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, forget Vista. As Joe Redifer would say, it sucks ass.

In Win 7 there is an option to run programs in various "Compatibility Modes." Select XP mode.

Finally, are you using a USB to serial adapter? If so there are only a few that actually work with most Dolby units. Keyspan is one such brand. I am running Win 7 with this adapter and have never had a problem connecting.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2011 04:24 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a laptop running Vista, only ocnnection issues I have are via USB to DSS200 Media Block, using the media block software, use the old Show Player software and it's fine.

You cannot connect to the CP650 via Ethernet. The Ether port is only operational for comms and control puroposes.

I use a USB-Serial adapter from Pico technologies, a colleague uses one recommended by Ultra Stereo Labs, no problems with either.

About the surround levels, how have you wired those speakers? If I'm reading you right you have 6 speakers across 2 power channels? So 3 speakers for each surround channel?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-18-2011 01:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, make sure you have the latest media block software, the one just previous did indeed have problems (the license would expire in about 30-days and prevent on from ever connecting up...the current one is fine).

-Steve

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2011 04:55 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, yes I am running the lastest Media Block app, this problem all started when I installed an updated CP750 app, which installed an updated Jungo driver... Dolbys advice to me was just to use the old Show Player app.

Apparently they have a workaround which involves manually installing the Jungo driver from a previous version. I really can't be ar5ed as I have reliable working software, for the moment....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-18-2011 11:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting...I'm sticking with WinXP...no problems. The exact opposite of how it started XP = Xtra Problems.

-Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-18-2011 11:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to stick with XP as long as I could. My old Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook (which came with XP Pro SP2 installed) has finally died after more than 6 years of service. The hard disc controller on the main board went on the fritz.

The new notebook I ordered has Windows 7 Ultimate. The upgrade to a Windows 7 notebook included the additional cost of upgrading my Adobe Creative Suite software. The CS3 generation of Adobe apps doesn't work under Win7, at least not in native mode. With the memory limits and other issues of XP compatibility mode in Windows 7 64-bit the idea of running CS3 apps under that is a non-starter.

Regarding USB to serial adapters, the real trick is getting an adapter that allows changing the various COM port settings for the device. The device's software not only needs to allow changing COM port assignment, baud rate and data format you also have to be able to get into Windows' device manager and make sure the COM port settings are the same there. When those settings are properly assigned the USB to serial adapter should work just fine. But I definitely recommend NOT buying the cheapest junk adapters out there. I have a Belkin USB to serial adapter. I haven't had a problem with it. However, I haven't tried it on this new 64-bit notebook.

Richard Hebert
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2011 05:37 AM      Profile for Richard Hebert   Email Richard Hebert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning Gentlemen
Ahhh the wonders time and a phone call does [Smile]
We got back in there and ( no phone no cell service since it's in a basement, so , we pull the unit out and go back to the shop.

On the matter of connecting to the unit : colleague had a different adapter and it worked.So , i threw mine in the garbage and we got a new one for my kit.It used to work with most anything like crestron amx etc no trouble. Well one down.

On the most important matter of level discrepancy and inability to get the signals balanced.Simple option calls us to take the surround out from the separate option i/o db-25.
Once a new adapter was made and put in place , calibration took minutes.

So all in all a new learning experience with a new peice of equipment.
Pretty soon a 35mm film projector will be integrated to the system and at that time fine tuning will take place.

Thank you guys.
Richard Hebert

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: