Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super Lumex Amps question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super Lumex Amps question
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2011 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My concern: Harry Potter in Tech 35mm 3d getting as much light as possible. Super Lumex lamphouse says 100 amps is the max. allowed amps using a 2500 watt bulb. Where should I be in order to get the most light with Tech 35mm 3d? Putting together the movie, it looks very dark. Right now it is at 97 amps. Just right? Too high?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-14-2011 10:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bulb is limited to 2500 watts. Multiply the volts times the amps to get watts.

Yes, I would expect Harry |P. to be dark to very dark; one of the problems of converting a live action film to 3D. Harry always had a peculiar dark density with a few bright highlights. I would expect this film to be no exception.Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 07:54 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amps/current is a little bit of a moving target. There is a limit to how much current a lamp and a lamphouse can handle but you can't say that 90 amps or 100 amps is exactly correct for any given situation. Current will fluctuate within a certain range, even if you have a regulated (switching) power supply. With a switcher that range will be smaller, sometimes only an amp or two, but it can still fluctuate.

As Louis says, multiply amps * volts to get watts. Set the current so that your wattage is in the range you need.

Personally, I set my wattage to be around 90% of the lamp's rating but I sometimes pull that back to 85% and, if the lamp runs best at a hair bit over the rating (only by just a few watts) I'll go with that. Remember, running a lamp at 100% all the time is like driving a car with the engine at full throttle. Yes, your car can do it. It was designed to go that fast but, if you value your car, you won't run at full throttle all the time because it's not going to last as long. Same thing with a xenon lamp. Yes, it will run at full wattage but it will last longer if you take care of it and don't run it full-out all the time.

If you have a dark movie like Harry Potter and you need to brighten the picture, go ahead and throttle up if you have room but don't do it all the time unless you need to.

Other people do things differently but this way has served me well for 15 years and I rarely have trouble with xenon lamps or power supplies failing prematurely. I believe it's has a lot do do with the fact that I am conservative in the way I run things.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-15-2011 09:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone seems to have a different theory on this.

Mine is that bulbs tend to produce less light output over time, and that this is not desirable. Therefore, I tend to start new bulbs at somewhat less than the maximum current, and then raise it gradually over the life of the bulb.

For example, with an Osram XBO-2000W/H, I would generally run a brand-new bulb at 75 amps and would gradually increase that to 85 amps (the max) as the bulb ages. In theory, this should smooth out the change in light output over time. I have no proof of this, but I also believe that this approach reduces flicker. The exception to this would be in 2-machine booths, where lamp current needs to be adjusted to match the output on both projectors.

I currently do not rotate bulbs. In the past, I have seen no benefit to doing so, and have found that they often start to flicker when rotated (why?).

And, yes, I know that the stage lighting people tend to become apoplectic when people refer to "lamps" as "bulbs." Sorry.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-15-2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to consider a short gap 2kw instead of a 2.5kw in that lamphouse. I believe you will get close to the same result. Running 2500 watt lamps in Super Lume-X has always been marginal. There would also be a heck of a lot less heat to get rid of. The larger diameter of the 2500 watt lamp significently blocks the reflected light in that lamphouse. Your best option really is the Technilight glass reflector. You'd nearly triple your light output fomr that of a standard 2kw lamp.

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 10:24 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott;

Your practice seems to be similar to mine. We just explain it differently.

Running at 75 A. with a max of 85 A. comes out to 88%... Right about 90%.

Yes, raising the current to get the light you need as the lamp ages is what I do but it's not a hard and fast rule. I just do what's needed to get the right light as the situation dictates but, in practice, it usually comes out the way you describe.

Yeah, I do call it a "lamp" because a "light bulb" is one of those elongated, quasi-spherical things you screw into a "socket" in your house so you can read a book or a newspaper. Calling it a "lamp" helps differentiate a "fixture" from the thing inside that actually emits the photons.

I also call it a "lamp" because I used to know a guy who had a thick accent which sounded like he was saying "bubb." I just developed the habit of always calling it a "xenon lamp" just to irritate him a little bit. [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-15-2011 12:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the bulb/lamp thing: most people think of the "bulb" (glass thing with metal base that actually produces light) as being the thing that gets screwed into the "lamp" (the fixture, which includes the socket). "Lamp shades," of course, attach to the "lamp."

The correct nomenclature (bulb=glass part, lamp=glass part plus base) mostly serves to confuse people, it seems.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True...drop a Technilight reflector in that Lume-X with that short gap bulb ... major difference in light output.

(glass part, I call the "envelope" . "Lamp" to me is what stands in the corner next to the recliner to help you read the newspaper and a lamp contains light bulbs for light ... or a "lamphouse" that contains a reflector, carbon rods, or a xenon "bulb" for illumination. ..oh well ... it all works and gets cleaned in the wash [Big Grin] )

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 04:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The superlumex performs well with the 2500hs lamp it is physically not much different than than the 2000whs as for technolight it is in my opinion snake oil

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if they were bulbs, they would live in BULBhouses; lamps live in lamphouses. [Wink]

And hey, you want brighter 3D? It's no secret -- IMAX does it the way it should be done. You never hear anyone complaining about an IMAX 3D presentation being to dim and lifeless (just that it's too expensive). Bright 3D? -- they need to stop whining and just get a second projector.

DUAL projection 3D where both images stay on the screen at the same time eliminating that temporal offset that drives some people to epilipsy AND not only doubles the light output to the screen, but quadruples the perceptive brightness because of the added length of time each eye gets to see an image, is the ONLY way to do 3D right....either that or stick with that one projector but shove 15kw bulb in the bulbhouse. That ought to make Mr. Bey happy.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-15-2011 05:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Gord is just jealous he didn't come up with the idea [Mad] . The Technilight stuff works great. Just ask ayone that has one. Many have been installed for Tech. 3-D and have provided incredible results. I did one in a Strong Highlite console and the result was literally three times the light output of the stock reflector. The Technilight was also a bit LESS EXPENSIVE than a new stock reflector would have cost. There is a 6 screen drive in in SLC that converted all six Christie lamphouses to Technilite many years ago and their outdoor image is brighter than many indoor theaters image. In fact that entire Drive in chain which is based in Calif. converted all their screens over.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 05:21 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Mark, how is it done? There has to be some actual technology that can be demonstrated, no? And if it is an improved design, why don't the manufactures just pay the royalties and make the improvement standard in their lamphouses from the get-go?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the Technilight isn't just a reflector, but they change out port glass, lenses and essentially everything in the light chain, which is cheating. How much difference does JUST the reflector make?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2011 07:17 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,It is huge,just the reflector and what seemed to be a beem splitter or heat shield were added at this Drive-in I worked at.

I was there for the installation and the same OLD lenses and port glass was used.

The difference was incredible as Mark described! The focus seemed vastly improved as well.

It was not just brighter but middle,side to side was very even,I dare say perfectly uniform across the screen!

I spoke with the inventor himself and his enthusiasm for making film the best it can be was massive! James Cameron had him set up or tweak his home screening room!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-15-2011 08:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I changed out was the reflector. The Drive in only changed out their reflectors. You would probably find that most theaters interested in spending the money on the kits have high quality port glass and lenses to begin with and they care enough to want the light at the best level possible. The kits include the reflector and new mount and heat shields as necessary. Interestingly another screen at this site also has a glass reflector kit as sold by a Cinema Equipment And Supply in Florida. That kit can barely muster out the same light level that the standard Highlite reflector can. So it is pretty obvious that Robert did his home work on these reflector systems... Personally... If I owned a multiplex cinema all screens running film would be equipped with them.

The improvement in focus that Victor saw was probably a result of the fact that these are dichroic glass reflectors and there is now far less heat hitting the film. Essentially this is Kinoton light performance or better without having to spend rediculous sums of money.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: