Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Quality in the theaters.

Author Topic: Quality in the theaters.
V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2011 02:29 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Friends,
How many of you are maintaining the SPL . in correct format. And is the Recordist working correctly for the movie he records. And all the studoes are sounding great.

Is there any person using such type of SPL reaadings .

92 for L,C,R
96 for Surround Each
102 for Subwoofer

these things are happened in south india. you think that these are correct. ????
But here the clints says he is correct and he earns more clints. and they says i am wrong for working correctly and making the levels to be standard.

such cases is that the problem creats in studio ???

But the recording comes from a dolby authorised studio .

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-04-2011 04:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby recommended settings are: (with the SPL meter in "C" pressure weighting) with fader set at "7"

LCR 85dB
Surrounds 82dB
Subs 90 dB

Looks like those posted settings are a bit hot due to the fader being set lower.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-04-2011 06:32 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subwoofer is supposed to be set with an RTA, not an SPL meter.

+10dB in-band gain, relative to center channel.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-04-2011 09:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite clear, especially in CP-50, 55, & 65 manuals. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2011 09:37 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm correct, surrounds vary slightly with one or two of the Dolby processors. Also, the +10db sub I think is for digital only.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-06-2011 10:24 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
85 db for lcr and left/right surrounds. 88 db for mono subs.

Each of us has his own variation. I set all surround channels 2 db hot. (fewer complaints that way.) Louis

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-06-2011 01:40 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In-band gain setting for the sub is indeed for digital.

Analog sub still needs to be set with the RTA, while monitoring Center channel (and not just an SPL meter).

For analog, I like to use the Dolby Cat 151 test film to hear the result. The Jiffy test film does a sweep of pink noise around the room, which is also handy.

While we're at it - SPL meter should be set for C-weighting *and* slow response.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: