Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using Christie ACT Automation Controler to create a status panel for digital proj...

Author Topic: Using Christie ACT Automation Controler to create a status panel for digital proj...
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-02-2011 02:29 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each of our auditoriums has a 16awg 7 connector cable running from the projector to a Xetron remote panel at the box office. As we convert to digital, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to use this wire and the Christie ACT Automation Controller to create a status panel for the digital projectors.

Ideally I would like to have an LED for off, trailers, feature, and credits. But I would be happy to reuse the existing Xetron panel which has On, Off, and Alarm and change those to just have off, trailers, and feature.

I'm not especially well versed in electronics, so the simpler the better.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2011 03:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's old school equipment that's gone extinct with digital. But, the automations with the digital units might still be able to communicate with that old equipment.

Usually, it's all abandoned with digital installs ... I worked in a 6plex with STRONG CPA-10's automations with their monitor panels by each machine and one in the office, and when digital came in, the panels were all disconnected and abandoned.

That is what networking is for now for digital.

Each digital unit has a network switch in the base that connects the server to the projector. Plus each switch is connected to a main switch, then to a computer with SMS (Screen Management Software), or TMS (Theatre Management Software) which can monitor and/or control any projector or projectors just by a click of the mouse.

You can also have each server be on autostart, or scheduler to where all you have to do is power up the unit for the day and each server will do the rest for you for that entire day.

Fun world we now live in with all of this digital jazz ...-Monte

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-18-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll answer my own question.

I reused the Xetron remote panel as follows. Attached the following wires to the upper relay on the ACT (I used relays 9-11): Pin 2 from Xetron (green light), Pin 4 from Xetron (red light), Pin 6 from Xetron (yellow light and alarm).

Attach wire from pin 1 from Xetron to the power side of a power source - I used 24V DC AC/DC Adapter.

Attach common wire from power source to lower corresponding relays listed above. I attached common wire from power supply to #9 and jumpered to 10 and 11.

Write scripts in ACT to close/open relays as desired.

I created 5 status events.
Start: Alarm sounds for 0.5 seconds, green light blinks 5 times.
Trailers: Green light and red light are on.
Feature: Green light is on.
Credits: Alarm sounds for 5 seconds, green light and red light are on.
Intermission: Red light is on.

I'm working on an event which will trigger on a play stop error from the GDC or Projector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: