Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ektapro projector won't light

Author Topic: Ektapro projector won't light
Glen Farley
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2011 05:27 AM      Profile for Glen Farley   Author's Homepage   Email Glen Farley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work with kinetic sculpture and for my next piece I wanted to integrate a slide projector. I bought a used Kodak Ektapro 7000 unit from a museum that was previously driven by a Multi-Image controller ES 4003 II. The problem is that the light does not come on. The bulbs seem OK, the fan is on and the red LEDs on the back that light up when one or both of the bulbs are burned out are dark. I have fed a slide in to see if it was the “no slide, no light” function and have pushed the standby button repeatedly without response. Someone told me that probably the last command received from the controller turned off the light but now the controller is gone. My question is – has anyone ever heard of this problem before and is there any way to “reset” the unit so it works OK as a standalone? Thanks a lot in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2011 08:35 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first suggestion would be to trace the wiring from the lamp socket to the internal controller circuit, then find the transformer winding voltage that matches the lamp and install a manual switch and jump them, bypassing the internal controller. Mark the wires you abandon and you should be able to restore it in the future. I'm assuming it's a halogen lamp...
A wiring diagram would certainly help, but who knows where you'd find one of them at this stage!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-10-2011 11:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There also may be an interlock on the lamp access door. Check to make sure everything is closed and latched properly. Also check that the fan is operating. There may be a vane/switch safety that protects the bulb in case of fan failure; look for that as well and even if the fan is operating, it may be faulty.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-11-2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Commands don't remain after a power cycle. The lamp is off when powered up, as I recall the fan stays off as well. You press the ON button (standby button?) and the fan and lamp come on. If not, something is wrong. This model has an internal dissolve dimmer I think, maybe it's dead? Many slide projectors have a one-shot thermal "fuse" near the lamp: if this overheats and "blows" it must be replaced... I don't know if this model has one of these. Hard to guess what's wrong with yours, this is a very complicated slide projector.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2011 03:43 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, but I believe that if the dissolve dimmer shorts out the bulb comes to full brightness like any typical scr dimmer.

Glen Farley
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2011 11:38 AM      Profile for Glen Farley   Author's Homepage   Email Glen Farley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much everyone for all your suggestions!
I will try to work through them. The museum where I bought it has offered to take it back so that might be the best option.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-22-2011 05:18 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a fuse on those. Try that. If the carousel has jammed it could have blown it.

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2011 06:16 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be too late with this reply but I've found the circuit diagrams for the Kodak slide projectors.

http://www.kodak.com/europe/mul/digital/projektoren/ptec_infos.shtml

Maybe add them to the 'Manuals' section for future reference.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: