Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film on the Rocks

Author Topic: Film on the Rocks
Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2011 04:51 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the specifics on the type of equipment used at Red Rocks amphitheater for their summer movies?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-01-2011 05:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great. Now I have that Neil Diamond song in my head. [evil]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-01-2011 06:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teaser title...or at least "vague."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-01-2011 06:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in the booth and know the guy who used to run it. At the time it was a Speco platter and a Christie projector (I think, I really can't recall). I'm not sure what it is now, but the Red Rocks people are pretty shady and never fully paid for the equipment from what I am told. They also pay shit wages for the person to run it.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2011 12:00 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw The Princess Bride there a few years ago. The screen was pretty small for the size and distance of the seating area. And the sound was pretty lousy. But it was packed and we had a decent time.

Not much info, but fwiw...

Geoff

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-02-2011 12:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand it is digital now.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2011 01:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope they aren't using something normally reserved for preshows. Are ancient movies even available in digital format? Because that's all they show. Probably showing Blu-rays or DVDs.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2011 02:26 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend that went and watched The Big Lebowski last night, and she said that it was 35mm. She also said the screen was far too small, the sound was pretty bad, and from where she was sitting (pretty close to the top) the sound and picture was noticeably out of sync. Probably due to the fact that there are only stage speakers. She also said that the print was in very good shape from what she could tell.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2011 12:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think at Red Rocks, even if the screen filled the stage, if you were sitting at the top it would look pretty small. That place holds about 8500 people at least.

Too bad they don't have some speakers midway back, to help sync the sound. Looks like they need to get a sound expert in there.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2011 01:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2011 06:15 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they could do an IMAX On The Rocks there [Cool]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2011 07:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that booth? Good luck. Still, I'd love to see them try.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or at least a 70mm presentation.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-03-2011 12:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Rocks is a decent place to watch a rock concert if you're really excited about the band that's playing. I can't see going through the trouble of just watching an old movie there. The road leading up to the venue is long and winds around all over the place. At least the scenery is nice. If there's a lot of traffic the task of getting in and out of the place is a giant pain.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-03-2011 02:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think for a lot of people Red Rocks has kind of a spiritual connection. I do think it's a cool place, and the acoustics are great -- my friend Greg and I went out there once the day before a concert to sort of "scope out" the place and see where we needed to go, etc. and we found that it was easily possible for him to stand on the stage and talk, and I could understand him up at the top row of seats.

I've seen a couple of concerts there: Boston (in the 90s), and Elton John (in the 80s). The sound for both was impressive. You're right about the parking -- if there was ever some kind of an emergency mid-show, I think there would be major pandemonium getting out of that parking lot. But, I guess it would be that way at any large venue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: