Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Early Bell & Howell projectors

Author Topic: Early Bell & Howell projectors
Robert Crewdson
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 07:49 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson   Email Robert Crewdson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bell & Howell 601, which is the UK equivalent of the 179.
My question concerns the cleaning of the optical system. The manual states that as well as the lens, which has one side facing the exciter lamp, and the other facing the sound drum, there is a mirror which can be seen by looking down behind the sound drum from in front and above the machine.

I have never been able to see any mirror, and I need to clean it to improve sound quality.

Is there anyone on here familier with these Bell & howell projectors in blimp cases, who can tell me exactly where to look, and what the mirror actually looks like.

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 11:19 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Ken Layton who occasionally posts on this forum. He may be able to help.  -

[ 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 11:28 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken's B&H 179 service manual has been scanned and is listed under the warehouse section of this website, and includes instructions for cleaning the mirror. Note, you should also check the installed exciter, as several would fit those models but you MUST have the one with the correct filament layout (vertical/horizontal/etc) to get proper sound. Make sure some helpful person hasn't installed the wrong one! Good luck.

Robert Crewdson
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 01:48 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson   Email Robert Crewdson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will check the exciter lamp, although I think it is the correct one. Unfortunately, the wording of the instruction manual for the 179 is identical to the 601; so no help there.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is the projector that I thnking it is, without film around the sound drum, the excitor light should hit a small mirror right behind where the sound track (on the film) would be. The mirror is used to reflect the light that has just gone through the sound track, onto the photoTUBE.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2011 05:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually seen the 601, but if it's like the slightly later 631, 636, 640 etc. then you can get better access to the mirror if you drop the amplifier out of the bottom of the projector. The photocell is mounted on the amplifier, and with that out of the way you can get to the mirror.

Sound was never the strong point on these older projectors, but they will run 'difficult' prints; I've never lost a loop on one.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 06:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and dropping the amp on a 1xx-3xx Bell & Howell is a 1 minute job if you're slightly careful to make sure it doesn't drop or damage cables. Unplug the cables, unscrew the four screws and you're there. The older 400 RCA's had a similar mirror arrangement, but I was always concerned about fussing with it as it was undoubtedly glued in and older than dirt, and never felt the need to touch it to improve the sound.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2011 01:44 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce has the answer here. The mirror deflects the light which has passed through the film onto the PE Cell inside the projector base. It can probably be reached with a cotton bud soaked in cleaning fluid.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in HighSchool AV dept in my Jr. and Sen. year, we had 179's 285's and a 399, and twice a season, I would drop the amps to clean the mirrors on a routine basis.

Amazing how dusty they can get with continual use.

-Monte

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2011 12:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the window on the screw off bakelite phototube enclosure

Robert Crewdson
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2011 11:11 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson   Email Robert Crewdson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thanks to all those who responded to my request for help, and a quick response it was too.
I have followed the advice, removed the aplifier, and cleaned the area where the mirror should be; remains to see if the sound improves when I get the chance to run it.

The 601, similar to the 621 and 631 in appearance, was the 1st to be built in Britain in 1947, under the supervision of B&H engineers from Chicago. It was a joint venture between B&H and Gaumont-British (British Acoustic Films). Optical sound, 110 volts.
Thanks again to all concerned.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: