Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10P cinema audio processor

Author Topic: DTS XD10P cinema audio processor
Zack Strickland
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2011 12:56 PM      Profile for Zack Strickland   Email Zack Strickland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unless i bypass this device, i can only hear background and soundtrack. No foreground noise or dialog can be heard. Any Ideas? Anyone experienced this? is it blown out?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this house film or digital?

You probably have a bad center channel speaker or amplifier. If you are running 35mm, putting the processor (just about any cinema processor) in Bypass causes the processor to read the optical track and, without matrixing or noise reduction, send all information to the left, center, and right speakers. Most screen dialog comes from the center, so if the center is lost, sending the audio to the left and right simultaneously will cause it to appear as though it is coming from the center. That's why Bypass is an effective solution to a lost center channel. (A temporary solution, of course.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the front panel held in by two small screws. Make sure the power is turned off. You will see three cards. Pull the card on the left out and push it back in a few times. This will re-seat the contacts. Do the same for the center card. Now turn the unit back on and see if you still have the same problems.

If this does not solve the problem swap the left card with one from another DTSXD10p or a JSD-80 processor if you have them and see if the problem follows. Do the same for the Center card but not at the same time that you do the left card.

Zack Strickland
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2011 05:09 PM      Profile for Zack Strickland   Email Zack Strickland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I ran the pink noise test through the windows software connected to the processor, the center Chanel sounded muffled and much less loud. How can i tell if it's the amp or speaker?

It is 35mm btw

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 05:30 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can swap the outputs of the amps. Let's say you swap Left with Centre. If the muffled sound follows the speaker, the speaker is blown. If it follows the amplifier, the amp is blown.
You then may want to swap the inputs as well, to make sure it's not a processor issue!

Don't do anything if you're not trained to do this kind of operations.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 05:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If center channel is muffled, bet you lost a HF diaphram in the driver mounted at the end of the horn.

If the systen is bi-amped (one amp per horn and woofer bin) as mentioned, swap speaker leads, but I do a simple 9v battery bump: undo the speaker leads from the amp and touch the leads across the battery to make the driver "bump". If you don't get "bump" from the battery on the highs, good chance the diaphram is toast.

good luck-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-28-2011 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful swapping the amplifier outputs if your system is bi-amped. Applying the low frequency output to the high frequency driver will most certainly kill it if it is not already dead. Best thing is to check it at the amplifier outputs first with a small signal tracer or battery operated scope and then at the speaker terminals. If you have signal to the hf driver then it is most likely. If you have signal at the hf driver it is most likely bad. If it is JBL, EV, Altec or QSC it is also repairable.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-29-2011 09:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, takes 10 min to swap out a diaphram within the driver. All you need is a philips screwdriver..

...just watch out for the polarity markings (either a green or red dot for positive)of the diaphram connections...and the fragility of the diaphram itself being of very thin, stressed aluminum.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2011 12:13 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the late response. I wonder, though, how the audio sounds on the booth monitor (if there is one). Booth monitors I'm familiar with (USL) will let you listen to the outputs of the processor and the outputs of the amplifiers. Listening at the processor output, then the amplifier outputs, will let you determine whether the problem is electronic. If the output of the amplifiers sound ok, then, as suggested by others, it may be a speaker problem.

Good luck!

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: