Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton ST200E - projector link

Author Topic: Kinoton ST200E - projector link
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2011 12:02 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just taken delivery of a secondhand ST200E and have just started making-up a small relay circuit to link the unit to one of our Westars.

I have a few questions relating to the configuration of the five-pin plug on the base of the platter:

Firstly, the RUN link requires linkage with dry contacts on the projector installed relay. Why is this connection required and in what way does it affect the operation of the platter? Also, what kind of current and voltage does this circuit carry (I don't want to oversize the relay contacts)?

The other terminals on the five pin plug relate to 'film break'. I'm assuming that this is a normally closed circuit which is opened when the platter arms sense zero tension? Again, what kind of load is this circuit designed to carry?

The unit, as supplied, is not fitted with a column mounted roller micro-switch to detect wraps. I'm thinking about fitting one of these. I assume this will be in series with the 'film break' switch output? Is the connection to this switch made within the platter column or just run straight-out to the 'film break' series loop?

Thanks, once again, for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-28-2011 10:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Run" circuit is required so the platter "knows" the projector is running. Without it, it will presume you are just threading. The platter will behave like a "microswitch" platter (start/stop). Unlike other platters, when the Kinoton gets the "Run" command, it will start spinning at the correct speed immediately rather than waiting for the film pull/wrap the center-feed on start up. Note, if you have an intermission, mid-show. Not only will this function have the platter stop with the projector and have the film "ready-to-run" again, when you resume the show, it will start up, again, at the same speed it was running. It is the smoothest running platter out there.

The Film Break circuit is only active if there is a relay mounted on the main PCB OR the wrap detector is installed (it is available for a subsequent installation too). They bring both sides of the over-tention switch out to a terminal block (normally stuffed into the top of the column) and one connects either the N.C. or the N.O depending on the automation (series with another failsafe, if a break in the circuit indicates break, or parallel if any detector detects break). The wires for selecting this are left in the column so the DIN connector has two wires to connect.

The RUN line is strictly low-current stuff, most any low-current relay will do (dry-contact). The film-break ("riss") lines are also low-current and the closures within the ST200 are also dry-contact.

-Steve

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant!

Many thanks, as ever, Steve.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: