Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tracking down an intermittent sound problem.

Author Topic: Tracking down an intermittent sound problem.
Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going crazy trying to track down an intermittent sound problem. It is a high pitched whistling out the surround speakers. I can happen several times in a day or not at all for several days. When it happens I turn the amps off. Usually I can turn them back on for the next show and its fine again for the rest of the day. Equipment is Qsc 1500a amps, CP500, Surround EX unit, and component engineering monitor. Have replace one of the two surround amps in the last year and it still happens.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-23-2011 11:13 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have another CP-500 where you can swap ALL of the boards?

Is the small jumper added to the chassis ground to the output low? (Only on later instruction manuals; first ones were wrong.) Louis

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2011 03:45 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I´ve had this problem before. If you switch the SA10 (EX adapter) to Bypass, it´ll go away. That´ll solve your problems in the short term. I have not been able to fix it in the long term.

Andrés

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2011 09:39 PM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem before too. putting the SA10 in bypass also fixed it

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-25-2011 09:43 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like one of the op-amp chips in the SA-10 is oscillating. Best advice is to get rid of the SA-10 altogether. I don't think Dolby even supports it anymore.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same hear with the SA-10. Pulled it and the problem went away!

Chase

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2011 04:05 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried putting mine in bypass, but it didnt work. I do think the sa10 is the problem. Im going to take it out and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas. I was sure not able to figure it out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have to have EX I know where there is a stack of Panastereo EX units sitting that have also been pulled out.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 12:51 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, great idea Mark, let's remove something not supported by its' maker and replace it with something worse.... [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is wrong with the Panastereo equipment?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-26-2011 04:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon/Mark, disregard previous post, had early morning brain fart and mixed my brands up...oops.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 01:17 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent several Dolby EX units in for repair to curtail this problem. The annoying thing is that it pisses off all the customers because they are the ones who have to report it. Sometimes you can cure it yourself for a short period by pulling the EX motherboard from the backplane and reseating it. I have had one in bypass for over 6 months and I am planning on removing it from the audio system all together.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-30-2011 04:15 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Smart DID buy Panastereo .. unfortunately. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: