Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » LPP film stock fading (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: LPP film stock fading
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2011 10:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In the warehouse is a clip that was sent to me from an LPP print that shows the most unusual color fading. I've never seen anything like it. I recognize the movie as Contact from 1997 and I recall that was on polyester base film stock. Here are some points that came with the clip:

• This only affected some of the reels with no pattern to it (for example, not alternating reels) and it was no better or worse at the ends of each reel.
  • This only affected a small area of the image down the center, the sides of the image are fine.
  • This print is in otherwise excellent condition.
  • This same print was played a few years ago and there was no color fading at that time.
  • A physical inspection of the print revealed absolutely no hint of even minor embossing.
  • A physical inspection of the print verified the surface on both sides looked "lab new".
  • The edgecode markings read "386 30 Kodak IX 1997".
Anyone have any ideas??? I have never heard of an LPP print fading before, so this would not be good news to find out that LPP filmstocks on polyester base can fade like this.

Watch the clip here. (Don't forget you can click "large view" to see the video larger.)

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2011 11:03 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you mean 1997 not 1977 right?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2011 11:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I said. [Razz]

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2011 11:29 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen an lpp print do this but my first thought is that it was run with a hot spot in the center early in it's life.
Perhaps not enough to burn it but over time make it do what it is doing now.

I hope it's not fading like Eastman [Frown]
I have noticed blacks become lighter in older lpp on occasion.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2011 11:37 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very unusual and unsettling. If it wasn't for the fact that the print was reportedly ok a few years prior I would say lab error. One thing that comes to mind, was this title subject to that beach bypass processing technique that was all the rage in the later 90's ?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2011 11:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am positive it wasn't. The movie didn't have that "look".

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2011 11:42 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bet its just Improper washing from sloppy lab work that finally caught up with the print. If it were truly fading I think it would be over the entire surface of the frame & not just down the center. I have rescued some poly Lpp prints from unbelievably horrid storage conditions (heat & humidity) & have never seen an issue like this. [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Victor Liorentas
my first thought is that it was run with a hot spot in the center early in it's life.
Perhaps not enough to burn it but over time make it do what it is doing now.

That's why I asked about the embossing. The report back was that there wasn't the slightest hint of it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LPP if processed properly is supposed to last 100 years. So most likely it was not handled correctly in the lab. Either was not washed or some chemical contaminant is still in the emulsion causing it to deterioate over time. I used to know all the steps to processing eastman color but can't remember them today... not that many steps really although there is/was a stabilization step at the end and this film may have missed that step or the stabilizer solution may not have been any good.

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-19-2011 01:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly it's an alien message embedded in the signal. Has anyone tried to decode it?

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 05-19-2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also guess it was a processing issue that's an anomaly. I know there's always the fear that it could be just the tip of the iceberg, but although I've never seen this particular flaw, I've seen a number of single film, intermittent anomalies over the years that look like fading, over/underexposure, etc. Of course, the real issue would be if such a wavering fade comes to exist in other LPP prints as time goes on. But I doubt that will happen.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-19-2011 03:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would want to see if that pattern is streaked or splattered looking
One of the early problems with polystcok was the magenta layer delaminating and causing blotches
the worst was the fugitive

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-19-2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first guess would also be that somebody hot spotted the lamp.
If that was the case, not only would there be embossing but the problem would occur on every reel or every other reel.
(If it was run reel-to-reel when one lamp was hot spotting and the other wasn't.)

Is it possible that, somewhere along the line, some reels got shuffled between prints in a half-baked attempt to hide somebody's mistake?

If the film wasn't damaged in a projector the only logical reason would have to be poor processing. [Shrug]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2011 03:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, apparently this entire print is in near-mint condition. The odds reels were jumbled between prints is a far fetched one. Even if ran on 2 projectors, the theory doesn't hold any water because it wasn't all odd or even reels (or 6K-mounted quantities).

Gordon, I recall on The Fugitive there were a ton of prints locally that had to be exchanged for new ones. My two prints were flawless and did not deteriorate (un-released FilmGuard). Curiously though other theaters in town did not suffer any problem, and there was never an instance where one of the two prints within the same building had the issue. The only pattern I could find was that every single theater that had problems used XeKote on the edges of the film as a lubricant. Every single theater that did not have problems did not use XeKote at all in their booths. (This informal analysis was between different theater locations and chains from people I knew and with the help of the local union for additional research.)

I think on The Fugitive it was a one-off problem, because some theaters continued to use XeKote and never had the issue again. Regardless it was all over the picture, not restricted to one location in the center of the image.

Remember though on this print, physically upon close inspection it is in lab new condition with no signs of any sort of deterioration. This same print also supposedly had no issues a few years ago.

Obviously if any rep houses are going to be booking Contact, please let us know how the print is. Likewise, does anyone have a list of Warner Brothers movies released +/- a year of Contact? I would be curious to see if anyone books those titles and if those prints show any issues.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-19-2011 04:11 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you said the print looked fine but FWIW I once received a used print of BRAVEHEART less than 6 months after initial release. During inspection, I noticed that the individual frames seemed to have been slightly burned, presumably by a hot spot from the lamp of a previous user. When projected on-screen, it looked a lot like what we're seeing in this clip.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: