Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spring...belts?

Author Topic: Spring...belts?
James Wallor
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 03:15 AM      Profile for James Wallor   Email James Wallor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction as to what 16mm projector these go to.

Let me start by saying we have four. An Elmo CX-550, Singer Instaload XL, EIKI EX2000A, and a RCA Model 400.

I know the Singer uses something like these, but the ends hook together instead of connecting like this. I think they might be for the EIKI, but I'm not sure. I'll be looking to sell three of the four (all but the Elmo), and I want to be sure to include everything with them.

-
 -

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-13-2011 04:16 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the RCA 400, Kodak Pagent or Kalart Victor Animatophone.

As you have the RCA in your possession, I would try and mount the belts on that machine making sure they are a correct fit.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 07:52 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! The RCA has 2 of these spring belts.

You must pre-stress the spring by twisting it in the opposite direction from the way it will thread together. A little skill is required since over stressing will shorten the life of the belt while under stressing will allow the coupling to part (usually at the beginning of a long reel so you need to takeup by hand for the rest of the reel.

Our school system had 35 of the 400 series RCA projectors at one time.

KEN

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 08:21 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had over a dozen RCA's over the years, and some had the hook style belts and some the screw together style you show. As far as I know they are interchangeable if the length and diameter are appropriate.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 09:57 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run a bunch of the RCA 400's, too.

When installing the spring belt that screws into itself, I've always been careful to not get it too tight.

The Animatographs have 2 different style spring belts. The oddball is the one that is used for rewind. My Victor are all models between the 40 series and the 70 series.

James Wallor
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 10:04 AM      Profile for James Wallor   Email James Wallor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, alright, thanks guys.

I did notice you have to pre-stress the springs. Sadly, the other belts are missing to test whether or not the projector works.

So, I guess another question is... what should I do with these? I'd like to sell them, but I don't know the condition of the RCA, I don't know if the EIKI works, and the Singer doesn't appear to have sound (something custom was done to it, but I have no idea what they did exactly, it was done years ago). Is it worth trying to sell them, or is there something else y'all would suggest?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long time since I bought any, but they're not really valuable. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort for perhaps $5 each.

James Wallor
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 12:17 PM      Profile for James Wallor   Email James Wallor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case. I just don't want to throw them out, but I'm in such a remote area it's not easy to get them to a place where there might be interest. So I was hoping there was another option.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: