Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Alpha Platter motor plug configuration

Author Topic: Alpha Platter motor plug configuration
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 06:33 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between the 2 pin plug and the 3 pin plug on the Alpha Platter Motors. One of my theatre is only 2 pin and of course the other one is 3. I have a ton of extra motors that are 2 pin but they won't work on the 3 pin configuration. What do I need to do to convert the motor?

Thanks

Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2011 12:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STRONG "Alpha" platters came in two models: "A3" and "AP3". The early A3 units had the two prong plug since the motor contained the 25w 2ohm resistor that was mounted in the motor case itself. Those platters had the rotary control switch below the deck mounted on the arm.

A few years later, STRONG came out with the AP3 unit, taking away the rotary switch and went to the switched return roller and added the make up switch, that took the resistor out of the case and placed it in the tower (like a big 100w resistor) and that third pin access that resistor in the tower, which is placed at the top underneath the tower cap.

You also know that the MUTS are not interchangeable since the A3 MUT had the two pin MALE plug, where as the AP3 MUT used the three pins FEMALE plug.

-Monte

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense, the ones I need to replace have the switches on the platter and the motors came from platters that had the switch in the roller

are there schematics for the two different motors so I can rewire the 2 wire motors I have as spares?

Thanks

Bernie

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2011 09:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a post back a few years on these motors in the "Tips" section of the Warehouse...maybe this will help you some ..

STRONG platter motors

Good luck - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: