Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sudden DTS-6/D problem. Help sought.

Author Topic: Sudden DTS-6/D problem. Help sought.
Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2011 03:35 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I switched the DTS-6/D on last night, the monitor screen that displays it's funtions, gave an unusual,slow performance and
stalled at the page that reads "Award Software Inc."
Here under it said diskette drive A to D none
base memory 640K, extended memory 0 K, cache memory none.
DISC BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC, AND PRESS ENTER.
Last show all was fine and all of a sudden this complete failure
occurred. I do have a keyboard connected, but don't have a "system disc". Anyway, something must have given up the ghost when the unit was switched on.
A reset did'nt produce any improvement over this situation.
Has any of you had a similar experience or know how to solve this problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2011 08:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the most common failure in 6D's at this late date that I am seeing are bad power supplies. They are just standard 250 watt AT type power supplies. I would try that first and see if it revives it... Beyond that all you can do is sub parts in fomr another 6D until you find the culprit.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-30-2011 10:05 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'system disc' on a DTS 6D is a BootRom chip, not a HD.
I would think that the BIOS battery is dead and the boot settings have been reset - so the board looks for a standard system disc to boot from instead of the ROM Chip. You should first try to locate and replace the battery, then reconfigure the BIOS settings. I think DTS had a tech-note for proper BIOS settings.

- Carsten

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten amd Mark, thanks for your reply.
Mark's option was what I had in mind myself, but the battery
story also makes a lot of sense. Will pursue that first and
then start x-changing cards when I can find them.
Battery, hey? Now I have to find it's location!
Thanks again for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.
Rob.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-30-2011 03:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The momboards are standard AT boards with the older "sub AA" sized 3.3v battery with leads that are soldered to the board.

I've done AA battery mods with old STRONG CPA10 automations with taking two Alkaline AA's, tying them together sideways with POS and NEG ends opposite, then soldering a jumper wire across these ends to get me 3V on the opposite ends where I have soldered leads to so I can attach them to the momboard. Works like a charm.

..and talk about being ghetto ...... lol - Monte

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-30-2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that some batteries are really just batteries that discharge over a couple of years (latter mainboards e.g. have CR2032 button cells). While other boards actually have rechargable NiCd or NiMH cells (usually 2 or 3).

Before you connect simple alkaline batteries as a replacement, you should make sure which cells have been used originally - because if they were rechargables, then a low charging current is fed to them when the DTS 6D is running - and Alkaline cells will not like this and might leak or explode after a while, possibly causing severe damage to the mainboard. Replace Alkaline or Lithium only with the same, and rechargables with same type of rechargables.

- Carsten

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2011 05:02 AM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"the monitor screen that displays it's funtions, gave an unusual,slow performance"

Just like to know on which monitor screen does it show. As i understand on XD10 and 6AD have small screens whereby DTS 6/6D do not have screens. Just curious to learn?

RAM.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2011 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For 6D and 6 you have to install an ISA type video card in order to watch the boot up process on a monitor.

Mark

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2011 01:28 PM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can we buy ISA type video card. Only from DTS or anywhere?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-03-2011 01:42 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see plenty of options for ISA video cards through google's shopping section. I assume you can find ones on ebay as well.

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris.

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 03:45 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The culprit turned out to be..... the ROMDOS board.
Thank you all for your reaction. Greatly appreciated!
Now, I'll have to try and find this small ROMDOS board somewhere.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2011 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still buy it but I have a box full of em laying around. I'll be back in the shop in a couple of weeks and could send you one if you can wait that long...

Mark

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2011 08:29 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I've sent you an Email.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: