Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Unknown Blue fluff

Author Topic: Unknown Blue fluff
Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 08:38 PM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any body have any ideas what this is found it in the gate after a screening.

I haven't seen any thing like it in 20 years.

This gate the film slips on start up sometimes could this be the cause?
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/82/169876882_full.jpg

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 08:58 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's part of the print. As the film went through it shaved it off the print.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 09:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(too add this to the FT collection..)  -

Bet you got a gate runner that has a sharp burr on it to shave off the edge of the film...

Wait until you get some blue "Easter Grass" that get's piled up below the machine. Then you know something is dreadfully out of wack in the projector...

-Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 11:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My original booth trainer called it Angel Hair. He said it was caused by thin slivers of material being shaved off the edges of the film.

Sometimes it is caused by unsmooth edges left over after the film was cut. As it runs through the projector it should go away by itself.

Now, I don't believe 100% of that story. While it is possible for the edges of the film to be rough, IF they were rough enough to cause a problem, it would have been rejected at the lab or the "angel hair" would have been worn off already. Further, modern film manufacturing methods should not leave this rough edge behind. Maybe it could happen in the old days but not now.

Anyhow, whether you believe the "Angel Hair" story or not, I think it would be prudent to check your film path for burred components, out of line pad shoes and to be sure that all your gate runners are smooth and properly aligned.

That's where I think the problem comes from... A burred or misaligned gate.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 11:46 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you happen to have a Dolby digital penthouse reader? If so, if someone didn't set the proper tension on the "pinch rollers" they can cause this "angel hair" problem as well. Especially if they are routinely not set correctly and the upper roller has developed sharp edges on the flanges.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the just start happening? New print? Could this be too much wax on the edges of the film?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: