Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rollers for Eprad MUT (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rollers for Eprad MUT
Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2011 06:43 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any ideas on a source of the rollers for the Eprad Mut's?

Mine are all showing considerable wear such that the shoulders that support the film edges are getting wider and some are rather close to touching the image and soundtrack areas.
So whilst in winter recess I need to source some new ones to do the entire unit... a total of 8 are needed.
The other option if there is enough "meat" on the roller is to have each slightly machined across the centre to bring back the scallop there.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-27-2011 08:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...wonder if rollers from SPECO would fit....

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-27-2011 09:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The need will be for "high speed" rollers because of constant rewind wear. Probably shouldn't use plastic rollers unless you have metal ball bearings on them. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-27-2011 09:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post a picture?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-27-2011 10:47 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Associated Sound Lindsay? If they don't have them, they could most likely make some for you.

I would think they'd have some on the shelf somewhere though.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2011 03:17 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte. Speco types will not fit...tooooo big.

Brad.. Will take a pix and post it if I can work out how to .

John...Have NEVER had much luck trying to contact Associated Sound but might give them another shot...in case I get lucky [Wink]

The rollers are aluminium and are about 50mm in diam and have 2 small bearings in the centre. Well made but they really spin around and had a bit of previous wear before I acquired the MUT.

Am about to take one off and trot over to my tame machinist and see what he can make of taking some metal out of the centre scallop so that only the edges touch the film.
Will take a pix at same time and see IF I can make the new toy (Canon Digital Camera) allow me to reduce the file size enough to post.
Probably have a shot at it all tomorrow if other things dont get in the way [Roll Eyes]
Thanks Guys.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-28-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off of your original subject, but for retouching, resizing and cropping pictures (and a lot of other stuff) look at GIMP. It's absolutely free.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy that last post has nothing to do with anything in this thread or site for that matter.

Anyway, it's been a while since I worked with an Eprad mutt system but if it is like the one I used we replaced the metal rollers with Christie rollers with the ball bearings. I can't remember what modifications we had to do to make these work but we did use them on those units.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
Boy that last post has nothing to do with anything in this thread or site for that matter.
Except for the previous post where Lindsay indicated he was unsure if he knew how to edit a picture to get it on here... I assume he was trying to help in that regard.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 01:13 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
Mr Spicer:

(a) Mr. Morris stated that he was unsure of how to shrink a picture file for posting; I assisted him in this regard and also provided the information for anyone else who may have this situation come up and be unsure of a good solution that doesn't cost money.

(b) Google finds several instances of people requesting software recommendations on this message board, and receiving answers.

I assume your apology will be forthcoming shortly...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 01:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Cox

Never Assume!

I just over looked that post and was not trying to insult you. Please in the future post a quote from the post that you are refering to so that people will understand why you posted what you did.

Thank You

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guidelines/rules for this message board state that you should not quote from the message directly above yours when making a reply.

However, your explanation is accepted. I've been guilty of speed-reading right over stuff before, too.

Have a wonderful day!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or next time, before you say "That has nothing to do with anything in this thread" you might want to read the thread. [Wink]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2011 01:32 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, one can over look something [Smile] it just makes it easier if they post a quote to help explain why they are making a specific point in their post. But it's cool I am not trying to make this an argument post or anything.

quote:
The guidelines/rules for this message board state that you should not quote from the message directly above yours when making a reply.

However, your explanation is accepted. I've been guilty of speed-reading right over stuff before, too.

Have a wonderful day!

That's understandable but since it was refering to something spacific in the post it is good to quote the post directly above. Plus sometimes you may be responding to something but your post ends up on the second page so having that quote helps keep you from having to go to the last page to referance.

You have a good day too, Sir.

Peter Howard
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Peter Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lindsay, if you're still looking, my father Don can help you out here, and the bonus is that he's in Australia too! Pretty sure Barry from Associated Sound gets his stock from Dad when/if he needs some.

-

He had a ton of rollers for the Eprad MUTs re-manufactured about a decade ago, and has plenty of stock left. We still run Eprad MUTs across our 5 screens in addition to the Potts platters. Eprad MUTs are frankly gold afaic.

[ 08-04-2011, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: