Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Norelco AA-II Lamphouse

Author Topic: Norelco AA-II Lamphouse
Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2011 03:14 PM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am part of a school club that runs and maintains two AA-II 35mm projectors. They are paired with Christie Xenolite H40 lamphouses running 3000 watt lamps. We are interested in replacing the existing lamphouses because they have warped reflectors and are losing some of their coating around the edges. They are also either very dirty or tarnished somehow. What Lamphouses are compatible the the AA-II? I assume that they would also require new rectifiers.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-23-2011 04:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your case a nice pair of used Strong Super 80's would do you well. There are plenty of clean used units out thyere and as far as I know still in at least limited production... so you could get new. Either way they are very servicable and provide a nice flat field of light. Team them up with a pair of Christie, Irem or Strong switchers but if you go with the latter rectifier get the 3 to 5K units and install power supression on the booth breaker panel.

Also, what rectifiers are you currently running? If they are also Christies some replacement of certain components can keep them running another 20 years easily.

Mark

Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2011 07:22 PM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a 3FXM4200-02S and a 1FXM2500-02S, both Christie silicon rectifiers. We used to have 2 3FXM4200s but one stopped working, so it was replaced with the 1FXM. Aside from being very dusty, we haven't had any issues with them. The 1FXM2500 just runs a bit warmer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd replace the electrolytic caps in both of them and just keep using along with a pair of clean used Super 80 lamphouses if you can find some.... since film has a short life span left...

Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2011 12:23 PM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a look in the manual, as well as opening up the rectifiers and both have four 6000 microfarad 160v capacitors. Can I simply replace them with capacitors with the same specs, or are there certain specific caps I should use?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2011 07:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just use caps with identical specs. HIgher voltage is ok but be sure they will still fit in the clamps...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: