Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Motherboard

Author Topic: DTS Motherboard
Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi..Everyone,

Why DTS won't sell XD10 motherboards to anyone but instead asking us to sent the xd10 units to them for replacement of motherboards.
Just curious, cant we replace the motherboards ourselfs?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-21-2011 05:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prob due to a copyright and total legal ownership of the boards.

Not your standard AT/ATX momboard as with the older players which were i486 based units. Plus being very proprietory as with the power supplies that are specially designed and used by DTS (now DATASAT)at the time.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-21-2011 06:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which motherboard do you have in your unit? A-Open or Asus? Considering what they want to repair-upgrade a unit that will soon be nothing but a door stop I would hesitate to spend the money. I don't know anyone here that is willing to spend 1200 USD on a unit that is going to give them service for perhaps another year or two of service. There are also used units available for less than it costs for MB replacement. If you have an older A-Open MB carefully look at the tops of all the electrolytic caps... 2200 mfd @ 6.3 volts. If any of them are bulging upward like they are going to seperate that is all that is wrong with the MB and any competant electronics tech can remove ALL the old 2200 mdf caps and install ALL new ones. Ditto for the small blue cap in the center of the board next to the heat sink. If you have a newer Asus board there are still places that will refurbish those types of motherboards although you may have to send it to a place in Europe to get that done. There are several dozen places here in the States that repair bad motherboards. Typical cost is $75 USD.

Mark

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2011 01:23 AM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,
I have a few unit that hangs and will not boot. all i get is the word "initializing". I will check what motherboard i have and let u know.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 02:27 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be that it has something to do with the licences for the special features of the player. All of the licences for the various content decoding options are referenced to the MAC address on the player which would change with the motherboard. Any additional licences that were purchased for the player would have to be updated. It's probably part of their key management system.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: